neblim, you're linking to the games' hubs (in the case of the reddit links). when looking at the reddit posts made, copy the address of the "Comments" part, not the main text (since that's what leads to the game hubs)

edit: you're also linking directly to the digg link which just takes you to the hub
To be honest there's a whole lot of stuff I'd like to add to Decadence before advertising it off-site. There isn't nearly enough content to hold player interest and I don't have any sort of offline/cooperative game modes yet.

First impressions are everything.
While the recent influx of players to NEStalgia seems promising, that DBZ game has almost as many players (and way more fans) even though it looks like it was made in an hour. Still, it's a big step in the right direction.
Divorce wrote:
Clark, the person who monitors the website said the ip address was 98.225.39.120. There's the correction, the other ip address was for something else entirely, and not related to this in any way.

That is my IP address. I just checked, and 64.239.204.196 is the IP address of the Shrenwold server hosted by Cable Monkey. You just looked up both IPs from hosted NEStalgia servers to troll me; you just messed up and got the wrong IP address originally. Pathetic.
Forum_account wrote:
While the recent influx of players to NEStalgia seems promising, that DBZ game has almost as many players (and way more fans) even though it looks like it was made in an hour. Still, it's a big step in the right direction.

We're getting there. It will take some time to finish weeding out the anime enthusiasts. We need an overwhelming amount of quality original games hitting the hub in the next six months. Maybe one or two per week with high quality and a great potential for upgrading to the level of NEStalgia.

These games don't, in any way, need to be carbon copies (that would be a step in the wrong direction) but a copy of the quality and thought taken to make NEStalgia. Quality is key!

Decadence is one of the games that is on the horizon.

If this community can continue to push the issue and push themselves, the sky is the limit. We need to show the gaming world that Silk isn't the only competent developer on BYOND.
Neblim wrote:

If we would pool some efforts on helping one another for once, we could actually get more Byond players.

Now this man is a visionary! A united BYOND? I like it.

SilkWizard wrote:
Divorce wrote:
Clark, the person who monitors the website said the ip address was 98.225.39.120. There's the correction, the other ip address was for something else entirely, and not related to this in any way.

That is my IP address. I just checked, and 64.239.204.196 is the IP address of the Shrenwold server hosted by Cable Monkey. You just looked up both IPs from hosted NEStalgia servers to troll me; you just messed up and got the wrong IP address originally. Pathetic.

You're wrong. That mistake I posted was used in comparison with the attacker's ip address. 64.239.204.196, the ip address given when connecting to your game was used in comparison to the attack's ip address that wields 98.225.39.120. My apologies if you have taken offense, but that's the information Clark has given me.
Forum_account wrote:

Coming from you man, that's fucked up.
Neblim, advertising on 4chan is like poking a bee hive with a stick.
Forum_account wrote:

A little off topic...

When is the update for A Miner's Adventure? I want it nao! ._.
Forum_account wrote:

To be fair, I looked at the Dragonball Z game's screenshots, and it looks pretty decent.

Edit: Nope, my bad! He has two games, and apparently the worse-looking one gets more players.
I don't mean to sound like an asshole here, but Neblim, you really don't know what you're doing, and furthermore, you're doing it without approval of the developers.

You posted to reddit.com/r/reddit.com instead of reddit.com/r/gaming. You obviously don't know how reddit works, so you already appear like a self-promoting outsider.

Social networking is a powerful tool when used properly. When you just try to leverage it for your own gain, it makes you look foolish. The reddit community is somewhat known for its ability to sniff viral marketing and people who are being paid to promote content. These things need to occur organically. SilkWizard didn't even post NEStalgia to reddit, someone saw the article offsite and linked it themselves.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you're going about this the wrong way.
I just have to know, what does everyone have against anime games? Right now, it just seems like you guys envy the anime games that get more players then other byond games...
Gtgoku55 wrote:
Right now, it just seems like you guys envy the anime games that get more players then other byond games...

This is not entirely false.

It's also how effortlessly they get so many players.
Airjoe wrote:

I was about to post something similar to this, but a little more mean-spirited. Glad someone else posted it first.
Neblim wrote:
C_Dawg_S wrote:
Airjoe wrote:

I was about to post something similar to this, but a little more mean-spirited. Glad someone else posted it first.

Don't have a heart attack over it, Dawg!

they shud recount
Gtgoku55 wrote:
I just have to know, what does everyone have against anime games? Right now, it just seems like you guys envy the anime games that get more players then other byond games...

I don't envy the amount of players they get. I just think it's ridiculous. Anyway, there are more original games coming, and the amount of attention NEStalgia is getting will never happen to some Dragon Ball or Naruto fan-game, but to other original, quality projects. Once the anime lot starts realizing how much more beneficial creating, playing, and supporting original games would have been, they'll be the "envious" ones.
Just think how many players HU would have if they hadn't hidden it in imaginary search land =P

Gtgoku55 wrote:
I just have to know, what does everyone have against anime games?

Most of them only have a problem with rips, but they aren't capable of differentiating. I figure the anime/fangame stigma will slowly fade, now that rips are quarantined. Non-rip anime/fangames will probably be let back on the main hub sooner or later. If only the BYOND team had taken action 10 years ago when the issue first arose...

EmpirezTeam wrote:
and the amount of attention NEStalgia is getting will never happen to some Dragon Ball fan-game

You must not be able to compare numbers very well. Not to mention the player count in NEStalgia is already dieing down, and will probably continue to do so. HU1 has been the most played game on BYOND for several years now - and as I mentioned before, my game is being suppressed, while NEStalgia is being advertised.
HU1 is a bad game (sadly, its still one of the best on BYOND), I wouldn't play it. HU2 and BE, on the other hand, are both great, though they are both unfinished at this point. I haven't played NEStalgia since it first released, but it barely kept my attention for 10 minutes. And the fact that it intentionally emulates games that have been outdated for decades automatically degrades its appeal.
If it truly is the best/most popular (original) game on BYOND, then that's just pathetic for the entirety of BYOND. Considering the previous "best" was SS13, a barely graphical RP... At least Decadence has an impressive graphical style (especially by BYOND's standards) and is a pretty unique experience in general. Antx just needs to make it more accessible.

And as for Forum Account's usual post, yous trollin!
Falacy wrote:
Not to mention the player count in NEStalgia is already dieing down, and will probably continue to do so.

what? it's been hitting/going over 300 every day at primetime. did you look at the numbers at 2 AM EST and think "hah! everybody stopped playing the game permanently already!"?

HU1 has been the most played game on BYOND for several years now - and as I mentioned before, my game is being suppressed, while NEStalgia is being advertised.

tell me how you feel about that

I haven't played NEStalgia since it first released, but it barely kept my attention for 10 minutes. And the fact that it intentionally emulates games that have been outdated for decades automatically degrades its appeal.
If it truly is the best/most popular (original) game on BYOND, then that's just pathetic for the entirety of BYOND.

that's a nice set of opinions you've got there. unfortunately, given that they were expressed immediately after the game superseded yours in a temporary popularity count, one is left to assume that these opinions are being conjured up merely to soothe a damaged ego :(

edit: oh look, right after falacy posted a comment, it went from 13 yae 0 nay to 13 yae 1 nay
The problem with anime games isn't really with the games themselves, it's with the people who play them. BYOND has a lot of game players who flock to anything anime-themed (regardless of how bad the games are) but won't go near non-anime games (regardless of how good the games are). This doesn't help anyone - anime game developers aren't being pushed to make better games, original game developers don't have much of an incentive to develop games, and BYOND ends up looking like to tool for making anime chatrooms.

The problem is that while BYOND seems to have an active player base, most of the people are only here for anime games. Getting rid of anime games doesn't solve this, but having games like NEStalgia draw newer (and better) game players to the community does help.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7