ID:110285

Resolved
BYOND Version:480
Operating System:Windows Vista Home Basic
Web Browser:Chrome 9.0.597.98
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Duplicates:id:110302
Descriptive Problem Summary: Whenever I try to log into the pager a message appears in the box that says "BUG: Failed to write to key.txt"

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time
In other games?
In other user accounts? Yes
On other computers? No. We have two computers, one runs vista (the one I'm having problems on)and the other runs Windows 7.

When does the problem NOT occur? Never.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Downloaded version 479.1086 and got rid of the version I had and now it works just fine! Downgrading versions seemed to fix it.

Workarounds:

This means that the key.txt file is in a directory that you don't have write-permissions to (or that the file doesn't exist). Usually a clean uinstall/reinstall from the account with which you play BYOND will solve the problem. BYOND Help should have more info on this problem.
If you upgrade again to 480, does the problem resurface? If so, try doing a full reinstall of 480 and please post a followup.
I'm using 480.1087 and just started receiving the same message, but it seems to only happen with my ACWraith key.

I always go into Control Panel and uninstall the old version before installing the new one.

I uninstalled again, installed 479.1086 and the problem went away.
Does reinstalling 480.1087 fix it? I wonder if it has to do with some security settings not "allowing" the new version of BYOND to write to that directory.
Is everyone getting this problem on Windows Vista?
Same problem. Is there no sure fix for this?
This was due to a permissions error on Vista (and maybe some other Windows OSs) trying to write to our new style temporary-files.

I have re-released a patched 480 as 480.1088, download here: http://www.byond.com/download/