ID:110292

Keywords: nestalgia
It's been a week since all of this madness began, and although we've made a lot of progress we're still trying to cope with the player load. The lag has been greatly diminished, but there are certainly some lingering issues and large spikes every now and then. Things have been busy (to say the least), but we've been hard at work to fix that problem and to provide the best service that we can for all of the new players.

Spiff has been plugging away on the new character creation server stuff, which ought to eliminate most of the lag issues. We're hoping to start phasing those servers in over the course of the next few days. That will also allow us to begin to consolidate savefiles and combine several of the lower population servers so that players are never left wanting for party members, etc.

On the topic of combining the servers, I spoke with Cable Monkey about creating a utility that will automate that process, and perhaps even splice together savefiles so that if a player has characters on the destination server, they'll simply be added to that player's savefile from the transferring server. It may be a week or two before we can do this (be it manually or using his utility), but we're working on it.

Customer support has been the singular issue that has taken up most of my time this week, but I hope to shift my focus back over to coding more and more over the next few days. Balzack has done an excellent job on the community management side of things so far, and we're working to appoint a new team of moderators - including at least one moderator per server who will "own" and oversee the community there.

Savefile transfer requests are on my to-do list, so I'll make an announcement when we start taking requests. Also on the docket: judging the Web Comic Contest (sorry for the delay!), figuring out which servers will be transitioning to "Open PvP", updating and transferring the data from the current NEStalgia Wiki to its new home, and hopefully hosting some official PvP tournaments in the next week.

Last but not least, we've got a big content expansion in the works with a target release date of Friday the 11th. Those of you who are fans of the NEStalgia Facebook page can get an early preview of what's in store. I'll also be posting about it in greater detail on this blog in the coming days.

We're got a lot of work to do, and I know that I'm personally a bit sleep deprived... but it's all been totally worth it! I can't thank all of you enough for all of the kind words of encouragement and your support of the game through subscriptions and donations. This is hopefully only the beginning for NEStalgia - we're outlining some pretty ambitious long term plans for the game. As far as we're concerned, the sky is the limit.

Follow NEStalgia:
NEStalgia Homepage
NEStalgia Facebook Page
Silk Games Twitter
Silk Games YouTube Channel
So when are you buying a building so you can establish a Silk Games HQ?
EmpirezTeam wrote:
So when are you buying a building so you can establish a Silk Games HQ?

When they get within the price range of $1500.
Sounds like you're staying amazingly busy. In my free time, I would like to volunteer to help you guys out if you don't mind. I'm pretty experienced with the MediaWiki software that you're using for the new NEStalgia wiki (of which I was going to suggest using anyways), so I really could help migrate the content over as well as help manage the wiki. And perhaps I could try out to help moderate at least a small playerbase server? It's all the least I could do to give back other than my subscription! :)
TheLionsRoar wrote:
I'm pretty experienced with the MediaWiki software that you're using for the new NEStalgia wiki (of which I was going to suggest using anyways), so I really could help migrate the content over as well as help manage the wiki.

Absolutely! Go ahead and sign up for an account and get started. I'll give you Admin powers as well. Mikau is in charge of the Wiki, but he'll need lots of help.

TheLionsRoar wrote:
And perhaps I could try out to help moderate at least a small playerbase server? It's all the least I could do to give back other than my subscription! :)

We just appointed like 10 or 12 new moderators, but if we need more I'll be sure to look you up. It's amazing to have so many even-tempered and mature community members to pick from :)
Who are the new moderators, anyways? :O
LordAndrew wrote:
Who are the new moderators, anyways? :O

Me obviously.
i was going to suggest some sort of server community manager for each server, glad to see you came up with that.
Been busy updating the wiki, already got all the default class pages done.
I'd love to volunteer, if you're accepting them. I've been a chatroom and forum mod over at Kongregate.com for years, and who wouldn't want to be a part of the community for an awesome 8-bit nerdgasm such as this?