ID:110360

BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate
Web Browser:Chrome 10.0.648.127
Applies to:Website

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
The section of Javascript that scrolls after the comments is loaded only works when the view is set to 'Oldest Comments First'.

If you're reading a blog with more than one page of comments, it's a pretty nauseating experience. You go to the bottom of the page, read up from order, navigate to a new page (older/newer comments), scroll back all the way to the bottom, and repeat for every page.

It makes absolutely no sense for you to remain at the top of the page when the post are in descending order. You'd be reading the comments on each page in reverse order. You WANT to be at the bottom.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
#1) Read blog post with more than 1 page of comments (ie: http://www.byond.com/ members/?command=view_comments&post=98204#comments )
#2) Navigate to another page of comments. (Newer Comments or Older Comments)
Expected Results:
After clicking either Newer or Older Comments links to be placed at the bottom of the page to read the comments in order.
Actual Results:
Motion sickness and acute risk of explosive diarrhea.

Fix:
//If the user is viewing newest comments first, this must be changed:
$.scrollTo($(ajax_this).find('.top_comment_nav'));

//to this
$.scrollTo( $(".comment:last") );
I hate when websites try to scroll around for me.
Or maybe the option to have oldest first for comments. Either way, new page of comments, don't make me find the beginning.
SuperAntx wrote:
I hate when websites try to scroll around for me.

I don't quite understand that. Are you saying that you actually read the comments in reverse or that you've become best-friends with your scroll-wheel and/or end key?

They already try to scroll you somewhere, the problem is the destination doesn't make sense.

Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
Or maybe the option to have oldest first for comments. Either way, new page of comments, don't make me find the beginning.

Precisely.
Oh, I see what you mean. You definitely have a vague way of explaining it though.

You should have just asked for "Newer Comments »" to scroll your to the button of the page.
I thought navigating through pages of comments was pretty clear, but I've updated my original post to explicitly state the problem is with the Newer and Older Comments links. Cheers.
Or maybe the option to have oldest first for comments.

That option already exists
Falacy wrote:
Or maybe the option to have oldest first for comments.

That option already exists

Yep. The 'newest first' just happens to be the default and that bit of Javascript doesn't play nicely with it. This report should've been the need for a case for both.

Good point raised.