ID:110380

Not a bug
BYOND Version:480
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Firefox 4.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Attempting to connect to most games results in the splash screen coming up saying I'm connecting, then just sort of disappears. Faulty programming in The Saloon popped up a runtime in client/Del() with my name on it that showed that I was connecting. Connecting on the guest key works fine.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.) Be Audeuro.
2.) Connect to a game.

Expected Results: Connects to game.

Actual Results: Doesn't connect to the game most of the time.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Most of the time
In other games? Yup.
In other user accounts? Yup.
On other computers? Yup.

When does the problem NOT occur?
It doesn't EVER not occur.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Tested in 480, 479, and 478. None of these versions allow me to connect to a server.

Workarounds:
Use the guest key?
This seems as if it might be loosely related to bug:2846 in which Tom mentioned new styled temporary files and a permission issue.

Are you running Vista or 7? Maybe running under a limited account?

I have not tested myself yet but re-installing byond would not help me with a bug long ago that happened only for new installs when the encryption changed. After uninstalling BYOND, if it doesn't bother you, try wiping the BYOND folder completely from (My) Documents, and see if that helps.
Ghtry wrote:
This seems as if it might be loosely related to bug:2846 in which Tom mentioned new styled temporary files and a permission issue.

Are you running Vista or 7? Maybe running under a limited account?

I'm running 7 ultimate under an administrator account. It was working fine until one day it just stopped.

I have not tested myself yet but re-installing byond would not help me with a bug long ago that happened only for new installs when the encryption changed. After uninstalling BYOND, if it doesn't bother you, try wiping the BYOND folder completely from (My) Documents, and see if that helps.

I've done this twice now already to no avail, and as mentioned it happens on my desktop as well.
So when you are logged into a key on the pager and you try to connect to a game, does DreamSeeker even startup (check task manager for dreamseeker.exe)? And if so, does it then shutdown or is it left hanging?

We'll have to get you a version of BYOND that contains more logging so we can see where it's going wrong. You should at least be getting some error on the splash screen indicating that it can't establish a connection.

DreamSeeker does in fact start up, but then it promptly disappears. The splash screen also promptly shuts down with no error message of any sorts.
I Have the same problem sort of...It doesn't connect to any Games. But will let me play on other computers am i IP BANNED from Byond?
I tried connecting to PopLava's Resource Center but the connection failed.

What is odd is, it shows the RC online with only PopLava logged in. I cleared my firefox cache to ensure I was not being fooled but the hub page doesn't change.

Given IP is/was: 76.121.170.119
And port: 8802

Firewall is off and there is no unusual blocking going on per my side. I also tried pinging but all 3 attempts show Request timed out with 100% packet loss.

I am however not seeing my window auto closed like Audeuro but it reports a connection failed and waits for me to close the window.

I'll keep testing, but I thought it was odd that the hub page is up with PopLava logged in but I have no apparent route to the host.

Is there any particular games that are disconnecting after connection?

The RC I am sure makes extensive use of rsc copying commands and such. Figured it would be a good place to start (as I am suspecting the temporary file changes and such to rsc may be somehow related to this issue).
I did some work with Audeuro on this and we found out that in his case, it seems to be his university doing over-aggressive filtering (probably looking for P2P file sharing). For him, he ran into problems consistently whenever he was logging in with a key, not as guest, and when he already had all the game's resources. You can confirm if this is the same case by 1) trying to login as a guest, and 2) clearing your cache before login, and then logging in again without clearing it. If you have the same issue then you should be seeing a successful login if you're logging in as guest, or if you have just cleared your cache (or haven't joined that game before or at least haven't joined it since new resources were added). Otherwise this is probably a separate issue.

You can also try joining in trace mode (via trace.bat) and watching your Options & Messages window. If you see "Required resources received" just before your connection fails, that's a sign of the same issue. But unless you're on his same network I don't think you have the same thing.
Having this issue as well.
Computer A: Windows 7 Pro (x64) SP1
Computer B: Windows 7 Pro (x64) (No SP1)

Computer A just sits at the "Connecting to IP:port" window, and doesn't do much of anything.
Computer B is able to connect just fine.
Both computers are on the same network.
Run in -trace mode. If you see the exact sequence of messages I described, this is the same issue. Otherwise it is not.

[edit]
Even if the issue isn't identical I'd still like to know what your results are. Obviously it shouldn't just sit there and do nothing so if there's a separate cause I'd like to suss that out. In your case this doesn't sound like a network issue because your other computer doesn't have the problem, which doesn't fit what Audeuro had.

Be sure to run with -trace so connection info will show up in Options & Messages (try running Dream Seeker from the command line if you're not getting that to show up), and let me know what output you get.

Also, please backup your cache before clearing it. If clearing the cache fixes the problem permanently (not just once) then this definitely isn't the same issue, but if you send us your byond.rsc file in a zip then we can try to find out where things went wrong.
Closing this report due to the original poster's issue being resolved. In Audeuro's case, the network connection was being shutdown by a third-party program.

The other cases reported in the comments do not appear to be related to this issue, and should be reported separately. Flame Sage's issue may have been a case of issue 2890. Ghtry's issue does not appear to be a bug at all.