ID:1104083

1. How can we white list people on linux with cfg/ folder?

2. How can we prevent an unwanted client from downloading the game's resources at connection level?
A: I used IsBanned() which is called before Client.New()

3. How much memory can DreamDaemon access while hosting a game in 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04
BYOND is a 32-bit application so it can't use more than 4GBs of RAM.
1. and 2. could be handled via iptables, if you wish to restrict according to IP address, handling it outside of the BYOND environment itself and preventing a connection to BYOND entirely for non whitelisted / banned IP addresses. A bit of reading would be recommended, but the basic gist is you'd add a rule to the INPUT chain, that has target (-j) of REJECT.

As root (of sudo the command, as yo're an Ubuntu person), do something like ...

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s [Banned IP]/32 --dport [BYOND Port] -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

To ban. To operate a whitelist you want to add all your allowed IPs first:

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s [Allowed IP]/32 --dport [BYOND Port] -j ACCEPT

Then add a rule to reject everything else.

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport [BYOND Port] -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
In response to Stephen001
Stephen001 wrote:
1. and 2. could be handled via iptables, if you wish to restrict according to IP address, handling it outside of the BYOND environment itself and preventing a connection to BYOND entirely for non whitelisted / banned IP addresses. A bit of reading would be recommended, but the basic gist is you'd add a rule to the INPUT chain, that has target (-j) of REJECT.

As root (of sudo the command, as yo're an Ubuntu person), do something like ...

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s [Banned IP]/32 --dport [BYOND Port] -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

To ban. To operate a whitelist you want to add all your allowed IPs first:

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -s [Allowed IP]/32 --dport [BYOND Port] -j ACCEPT

Then add a rule to reject everything else.

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport [BYOND Port] -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

Key would have been fine. I noticed there's a white list feature in windows, but not in linux.
I don't think there's an independent by-key whitelist feature for Linux.