Pixel Movement

by Forum_account
Pixel Movement
A pixel movement library for isometric and top-down maps.
Didn't Work For me... I thought I did everything right! I will stick with the 2D version Until I get 3D Down.
Pokemonred200 wrote:
Didn't Work For me... I thought I did everything right! I will stick with the 2D version Until I get 3D Down.

To use the 3D mode you have to open _flags.dm in the library and change the line that says "#define METHOD NATIVE" to say "#define METHOD LIBRARY".
FYI: A number of your demos reference things which don't exist so users will get build errors.

vehicle, wasd,
can_jump()
jump()

Looks like gravity might be an issue as well.

The isometric demo has a bunch of errors.

The top down demo has several error around pz and pdepth.

Tsfreaks wrote:
FYI: A number of your demos reference things which don't exist so users will get build errors.

vehicle, wasd,
can_jump()
jump()

Looks like gravity might be an issue as well.

The isometric demo has a bunch of errors.

The top down demo has several error around pz and pdepth.

To use the 3D mode you have to open _flags.dm in the library and change the line that says "#define METHOD NATIVE" to say "#define METHOD LIBRARY".

Some of the demos require 3D movement (isometric, top-down) so you have to make that change because native pixel movement doesn't support those capabilities. I thought I made sure that demos that don't specifically require it don't reference those vars/procs, but I'll double check.
Hey can you please help me out, I've used the 3d type movement in my game (jumping stuff) and the game works great, i can jump, run everything. But i have 1 problem , this pixel movement makes the mobs have no density, how do i sort this out, i tried giving them depth and coding in the density but it just doesn't work. help please. =D
Keelan wrote:
Hey can you please help me out, I've used the 3d type movement in my game (jumping stuff) and the game works great, i can jump, run everything. But i have 1 problem , this pixel movement makes the mobs have no density, how do i sort this out, i tried giving them depth and coding in the density but it just doesn't work. help please. =D

The library defines the can_bump() proc which it uses to determine if a mob can bump into an atom. The proc can take density into account, but because it's a proc you can also make it more complex than that if you'd like.

To make mobs bump into each other, try this:

mob
can_bump(atom/a)
if(ismob(a))
return a.density
return ..()

By default the can_bump() proc only makes you able to bump into turfs, but you can easily override it to extend the behavior to allow for bumping into mobs.
Hey dude, I used the code but now when i start my game all of my mobs fall of the map and are no where to be seen. I thought maybe if I gave my grass some pdepth it would stop them from falling but it didnt. Is there something else missing..?
Sorry if the solution is simple, but I'm not the best of programmers yet
If you're overriding can_bump(), make sure you call ..() otherwise you can make the mobs fall through the ground. If post more details about your problem on my forum I'll take a look at it: http://www.byond.com/members/Forumaccount/forum
Ok it works fine now thanks =]
Is something wrong with the latest update? I did a clean run and it skips a lot when I move. Please help! Thanks. :)

- edit -
This is happening in the demos included in the lib, not my game.
i liked alot but you should explaine how to make a iso map
Vector2 wrote:
Is something wrong with the latest update? I did a clean run and it skips a lot when I move. Please help! Thanks. :)

Which demo? And what version of BYOND are you using?

Elochai wrote:
i liked alot but you should explaine how to make a iso map

There's a demo called "isometric-demo" in the folder by that name that shows how the library can be used with isometric maps.
Idk if i'm just stupid or blind, but i'm not understanding this library at all :(
Komuroto wrote:
Idk if i'm just stupid or blind, but i'm not understanding this library at all :(

What don't you understand? There are lots of demos that show how to use it, have you gotten them to work?
Just follow the instructions and include the files for one demo at a time. Also make sure you have Forum_account's Keyboard lib.
*Resolved* 'Compilation errors'

TIP for non-programmers: always read the comments at the begining of the demo file. I'll certainly do that from today :D

Regards,
Crowley
This library is one of, if not the best, libraries available on BYOND. It is well thought out and executed and is an amazingly powerful engine for games of all genres. Not only that, but if you approach Forum_account about features, bugs, or even little quirks, he will address them and even help you to implement the library into your project. Overall, this library is a showcase of one of BYOND's strongest active developers and you would be missing out if you didn't at least give it a look.
In response to Hiro the Dragon King
Hiro the Dragon King wrote:
This library is one of, if not the best, libraries available on BYOND. It is well thought out and executed and is an amazingly powerful engine for games of all genres. Not only that, but if you approach Forum_account about features, bugs, or even little quirks, he will address them and even help you to implement the library into your project. Overall, this library is a showcase of one of BYOND's strongest active developers and you would be missing out if you didn't at least give it a look.

Thanks! I've always thought so but its nice to hear other people say things like that :-)
Also, if you think a library is good, you should add it to your favorites. The only ways people can find libraries without knowing what they're looking for is by popularity or by date (ex: viewing recently created libraries). The hub is full of old, crappy libraries that have accumulated many fans, making it harder to find the better libraries that havent had as many years to accumulate fans.
So this pixel movement works without lags while many players are in game? Also, I didn't feel like reading much but this exact pixel movement is single pixel movement?
Page: 1 2 3 4