Toy Tanks

by Oasiscircle
Toy Tanks
Battle against your friends in vector-based battlefields!
ID:110504

Hurry with the game. I wanna play it ._.
Splendid... The game play is far more responsive than I was anticipating. Here are some bugs/features that might be of use to know of:

V0:
1) Witnessed a few stuck in the wall bugs.
2) Spectate menu item doesn't appear to work.
3) Not immediately apparent what the controls are.
4) Should either have a timer reboot upon victory.

5) Add more modes:
--- Multi-hit (hit points if you will)
--- Bombs/Mines
--- Multi-life (i.e. three lives)
--- Different colors for the four different players.
6) Put the tanks on all four corners
7) Use unique colors and bullets for each participant

V1:
8) Winning tank artifact left after game reboot. Overlays on menu if in the center.
9) Add a "Wait in Queue" menu item to wait for the next game.
10) "Help" menu item is second from top. A player's tank's name appears over this menu.

I'll add more as I come across them.
Got this error while trying to join an active game.
Network connection shutting down due to read error.
Connection failed.
@Tsfreaks:
I think that's a problem that has something to do with BYOND's Rebooting procedure. I have, however changed the game to not Reboot() at all, and this has solved the issue.

@Bootyboy
(I will update this as you update yours)

1) Confirmed
2) Fixed
3) Fixed (See Help)
4) Fixed
5) On the List
6) Fixed
7) Fixed

8) Fixed
9) Join Game does this automatically, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
10) Fixed
I love to see something i helped with come to life makes me fill all tingly
This is an awesome and very entertaining game. :D!
Toy Tanks forums can now be found here
Great game reminds me of some old arcade games i use to play.
A fun game, but I suggest that you add AI opponents so that players can try the game without waiting for other people to log in. See Foomer's excellent post on the subject.

Also, that's an top-notch interface. If I were making an interface like that, though, then I would make the title bar standard, but put in a button players could press to toggle it on or off. I, personally, would play without the title bar, but a lot of your first time players are going to leave because your window isn't a standard Windows window, so they'll be afraid it's malware of some sort.
IainPeregrine wrote:
but a lot of your first time players are going to leave because your window isn't a standard Windows window, so they'll be afraid it's malware of some sort.

I dont think thats wats going throw there minds
An instant classic. Get some friends and play a few rounds, you won't regret it.
Reminds me of Tank Wars on Wii Play. I love it =D
The controls take some getting used to so a single player mode would really help. You don't need AI (though it would be nice) you could just have targets randomly appear to give the player a way to practice moving and shooting. You could have challenge levels where you need to shoot all targets before time runs out.
From the screenshots alone, I think you need to desaturate the floor a little bit.
Vermolius wrote:
From the screenshots alone, I think you need to desaturate the floor a little bit.

Floor looks fine
In response to Forum_account
Forum_account wrote:
The controls take some getting used to so a single player mode would really help. You don't need AI (though it would be nice) you could just have targets randomly appear to give the player a way to practice moving and shooting. You could have challenge levels where you need to shoot all targets before time runs out.

Although i, myself have yet to actually play this game at all, with no one seeming to be on/hosting nowadays -due to only recently (in the last few months) becoming even more aware of games like this one that were made years ago- i do still feel this is a good idea in general, because then people could at least still play this game with a single player mode, and get the chance to enjoy it?

...Eventually it might indeed become more of a requirement, imo, to introduce good ai into the game (in the case of a single-player mode existing), so that one could get as close an experience to what is intended for players on a hosted game. However it's not paramount. I think i would be fine for a time with the suggestions in place that forum_account suggested (you might, perhaps, even improve upon those features and add more mini challenges in to flesh out the content for a single player mode to make it fun enough in itself), and perhaps from that there might be more people who show an active interest in getting together and hosting some multiplayer rounds... who knows.

Oh! Heh. I'd almost forgotten that i'd visited this hub-page(?) as a result of wanting to check out your creations in general, and thus that it was mostly due to your current activity in working on alchemist right now... 'lol'.

So, yeah no hurry on this really, but maybe this is one for the future? Not in terms of asking you to intentionally try to make ToyTanks your next big game or anything, just hoping that at some point you could add a few things in for interested parties like myself. :)
In response to Turboskill
Let me finish Alchemist first! ;)
Heh. Ok, sure :D