ID:110849

BYOND Version:480
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.15
Applies to:Dream Maker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
While editing an icon I went to save it then the icon editor crashed. The icon file has been completely nuked and is now 0 bytes.

I was editing a single, lone icon. I wasn't compiling a project or anything. It crashed during a save, one which I do every few minutes to prevent losing data in case of a crash. The icon was 16x16, had about 6 colors and 3 icon_states.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Start drawing an icon.
Save every few minutes.
Repeat until crashing.

Expected Results:
Icon should save instantly.

Actual Results:
DM crashes while erasing the icon.

When does the problem NOT occur?
I've had plenty of crashes before, but none during the saving process. I can't duplicate the crash.

Unfortunately, there's not much we can do unless you can reproduce this.
DM's been crashing a lot when I save icons. I haven't been able to reproduce it reliably in a short number of steps, but it's gotten more annoying now that I've started to lose data when it crashes.
Is this something new or has it always been this way? If it happens fairly frequently, I could setup a debug version that would give us more info. If it's just a once in a blue moon thing, I'm not sure what we can do.
I guess one thing I could do is to make things not save in place, so if it does crash at least you won't lose data.
I think it's fairly new, but I don't think it's new since the last update. Depends on how much development I do and how much of that includes icon editing, but I'd guess that it happens 2-3 times a week.

I hadn't reported it earlier because the first few times it happened I hadn't lost data.
Ok, we'll fix it so it doesn't save in place, and then we can see if the crash is reproducible when you do the exact same thing (restarting DM post-crash and re-saving). If it is, we should be able to fix it.

I have no idea why this would only start happening recently, though, as we haven't touched the icon editor in a long time.
I've added code to avoid saving the icon in place, during the save and export operations. (Creating a new icon file saves too, but since the goal is to create a blank file that routine wasn't changed.)
Just crashed on me again, lost all my work. I had an area selected and used the vertical flip.
I found a method to crash the icon while trying to find this bug. I'll post it when I find consistent steps to reproduce it.
I've only reproduced this theory twice, out of a countless number of tries, so this could be coincidence.

Right click removes selection
Changing tools removes selection
Changing tools then right clicking might be double removing the selection,
When new selection is made it's corrupted somehow.
That corruption causes dream maker to crash when it tries to flip it.
Here's something odd:

Select a 1x1 pixel
Right click
Try to select that pixel again
Confirmed not being able to select the same pixel when following Chowder's instructions.

I was using the selection tool a lot during the last crash I reported, it's worth looking into.
Changing tools and then right-clicking does not cause any corruption as far as I can see. The right click behaves just how it should for whatever new tool was selected.

I did find the 1x1 pixel issue and that's a simple fix, so I'll make the bug report and close it for that one.
Can you make a version of DM that logs the selection, and rotation tools in detail? As well as tool switch events.
That would be doable, but it's a lot of work to go to unless you're sure you can reproduce the crash.
It takes a while to get it to crash, but I've got time to kill.
Make a dmi file.
Draw a smiley face.
Select the select tool.
Drag your mouse from the lower left of the icon to the top left of the screen.
Click the horizontal rotation button.

This might be a different bug. It seems the window needs to be maximized and you need to get the exact top left to get it to crash consistently. I'm hoping whatever bug is causing this, will also fix the other bug.
Chowder wrote:
Make a dmi file.
Draw a smiley face.
Select the select tool.
Drag your mouse from the lower left of the icon to the top left of the screen.
Click the horizontal rotation button.

This might be a different bug. It seems the window needs to be maximized and you need to get the exact top left to get it to crash consistently. I'm hoping whatever bug is causing this, will also fix the other bug.

I managed to reproduce this every time I tried it. Of worthy note is that it will only crash if it's the first icon state you've opened within that Dream Maker instance in my testing. A new bug report would probably be best.
That definitely warrants a separate report just in case it's not the same thing. Once you post that I'll resolve it because I found the issue thanks to your instructions and fixed it.

I didn't find any indication that the icon had to be newly created or the first icon made in that DM session. What I did find was that the selection had to be the very last operation done before clicking one of the CW/CCW rotation buttons.

There is a workaround to that particular issue, which is that if you click on the selected region after making the selection, the variables that are misbehaving will reset.
Page: 1 2