CauTi0N wrote:
Selfish is when you do something to help yourself and only yourself, and even possibly hurt others.

Suicide is helping yourself and only yourself by taking your own life out of a situation, and can even possibly hurt others.

You contradicted yourself.

Maybe in the ones that reach "the news" or that are publicated, but you don't know that every since suicide was just selfish. You don't know if the person was depressed and in serious pain or if they had been abducted and starved and had to kill themselves because they was no hope of rescue.

And, if you had read my whole post, you wouldn't say I condridicted myself, since I didn't neccecerily said that Suicide is totally not selfish in all cases.
It's affecting other people for personal gain.

Affecting other people and killing them are two totally different things. If you shouldn't be allowed to do anything because it might affect other people, nobody would be allowed to do anything.
Suicide is not exactly selfish.
I did read your whole post, that's what you said.

Okay, then I'll use a different analogy.

If a man has a baby with a girl, and decides he's not man enough to handle the stress, he walks away. He does it for himself, but forever that child will question why they don't have a father, and that girl will be tormented by it as well. But it's totally moral to do so, because he's not doing it TO THEM, he's just leaving for himself.
True, true, but you can't compare a father-figure leaving a household to someone killing themselves for various reasons, espessially when your "analogy" was poorly detailed and only talked about a dad and a girl, not including outside details like money, a wife, age, etc.

In the end, I do not care if you agree with me or if you think Im a hypocrite, its my opinion. If you don't like it, then don't read my post.

Also, Suicide is an option. If its their life from the moment they are born (excluding abortion rights and narutal laws) then they have the right to cease their existance by self termination. If you feel differently, then go ahead and get a job at a crazy-persons facility.
I never said you were a hypocrite. And in the sense I explained it, I pretty much made it as comparable as it could get.

Suicide - ending one's life, or "abandoning the world"
Father leaving - "abandoning his situation of having a child"
@ Galactic Soldier

That is a (insert four-letter word plus past-tense here) opinion. Just becuase they were going to die anyway doesn't mean they deserved to die or that the killing was justified. And why should people in prison, some who may be innocent or have done very small acts of "evil" compared to mass murders and rapist, have to die at the hands of paid-bounty-hunters/murderers?

A government that pays killers to take the lives of men judged by sinners to be sinners themselves is a (insert another four-letter word with past tense here) country.
If a man has a baby with a girl, and decides he's not man enough to handle the stress, he walks away.

"If you have a child, you have to stay together with your partner forever and love your child" is just ignoring one person's concerns and issues in favor of everyone else's.

People make mistakes. Is it right that you should be forced to make an 18+ year commitment because of a simple mistake? I don't think it is, but I suppose that's just me. This is of course ignoring actual issues like birth control failing, or lying about birth control, where neither party might want to have a child, or either one might not want to have a child.

This is why it's a concern for the courts. In the scenario you provided, where a man gets a girl pregnant (maybe on purpose) and then leaves them, you could call that an ethical concern. But once again, is it okay to sacrifice one person's happiness for another's?

I don't think it is.

This is why there are options for people who are pregnant or have a child that can't care for their children.
But once again, is it okay to sacrifice one person's happiness for another's?

I don't think it is.

You make a lot of sense and have probably pointed out the flaws I didn't really consider as I whipped up the scenario, but this line gives me an issue.

Is it okay to take away one's happiness for yourself? Because essentially this is running that risk. Chances are it'd be a bit extreme, but it'd inevitably cause a chain reaction of hatred in society rather than a loving, peaceful one.

For example, my father peaced out when he decided he wasn't happy. I can't say I'm glad at all that it happened though.

I don't think there is necessarily ever going to be a proper solution between this argument you and I might have Keeth, but I do maintain my ground that unless maybe in the sense of torture where there is no possible escape (I include dependency on life support here), and I mean physical torture, I don't think there is any justification in ending one's life ever.

I don't mind if you disagree however. I just personally think suicide is the most selfish thing one can do, and people should turn to any and every option they can instead.
I personally think that this topic is a bit overdue for a lock, now that we have all expressed our feelings (biased opinions)

Though, still, it saddens me that people would twist logic to make their own opinions seem as facts. Even coming towards a happy topic, its still wrong, especially in a saddening and touchy subject like suicide.
Is it okay to take away one's happiness for yourself?

I believe these circumstances are quite different as well. In one case, we have a person who is being forced to do things that make him unhappy because he believes he is obligated to do so, or because some other pressure is forcing him to do it. This person is "sacrificing his happiness" in favor of other people. In another case, we have a person who has decided he doesn't want to do something, and the consequence of this is that someone who was relying on him to do it is unhappy.

In the case of a man killing himself, the negative consequence is that people might be angry, or sad (they wanted him to stay alive). In the case of a man deciding he doesn't want to take care of his child, the negative consequence is that the woman might be heart broken, and the child might have to grow up knowing his real father didn't want to take care of him (and I'm not a psychologist, so I can't really say how this might affect him/her).

Basically, it boils down to free will. People should be allowed to do as they please (to an extent). People do things that make other people unhappy or that other people disagree with every day. Is it "their fault?" Should they be forced to answer for every person who was not satisfied with their actions?

(in the case of one spouse abandoning their spouse and child, there is an ethical issue for sure. but the consequence here is that they now have to pay child support and all that good stuff, pending a court case of course)

I don't mind if you disagree however. [...] people should turn to any and every option they can instead.

I do agree with this. As stated earlier in the comments, like... 70% of people? 70% of people that attempt suicide later realize they didn't have to. I do believe suicide is often used by people as, as they say, "a permanent solution to a temporary problem," or something to that extent.

I've said this before though. I don't pretend to understand everyone. Some people probably truly can't live with themselves after certain events, and I won't try to say they should have done more and they would have fixed their problems, cause I don't know. I do know that humans are very quick to adapt to new situations, though. I think probably >80% of the reasons people kill themselves are usually quite petty in the grand scheme of things. But... like I said. Won't pretend to understand random people I've never met.
Because your perspective can only be completly and truly right in the eyes of whoever's eyes the perspective comes from. Don't got rock hard evidence, intensive studies that have lasted long-periods of time and have proven your statement? Then its only an opinion, and a biased one at that, since you (apparently) have no experience to back-up your thoughts, it will always be just that.

An opinion.

Just like suicide, no matter what they do to make it painless or discuss how bad it is, will always be what it is.

Killing yourself.
Without reading the currently 36 comments:

I was under the assumption that the US allowed the use of marijuana for medical purposes. If she is in that much pain, can't a doctor give her a 'green card', as it were?

As for the smoking of marijuana: Provided people aren't trying to convince others to try it, I have no real issue with it, and dabble with it myself from time to time. If your mothers partner (or ex, as it seems) tossed her out for having a puff, then they clearly aren't compatible people, and I doubt he actually cared for her very deeply if at all. I sure as hell wouldn't toss my girlfriend out if she dabbled once or twice in something I disapprove of (heroin, for example). Until it started becoming an issue (addiction, diverting large amounts of income to support it, etc), and even then, I'd attempt to solve said issue before giving up.

Now for the suicide: It's a tricky subject in of itself, and is also a rather difficult one to talk about, especially on the internet. Simply because people are douchebags. There's no escaping this. If someone was seriously thinking of suicide, and posted on a blog about it. If that blog has enough readers, I guarantee that someone will post "do it". And in that state of mind, one confirmation, even if not serious, is all a suicidal person needs for justification.

Then you have the issues of euthanasia (assisted suicide). Which is another kettle of fish. I don't know about anyone else, but I doubt I could assist someone in killing themselves. And I highly doubt many other people could either. I don't know about military personal. They do shoot people, but I suppose they're in life or death situations, so they could also fall under this theory. People may talk tough, but the gravity of taking a human life is quite large and can effect hundreds of other people.

I like to think in a perfect world that everyone should be able to live a complete meaningful life. And whatever ailments they have can be treated or managed with the use of medications. But this is clearly not the case. At the end of the day, I think the decision is entirely up to the individual, and before doing so, they must weigh each and every aspect of their life to determine if it is necessary. Something no suicidal person can actually do.
Actually, it just occurred to me that I have a story. I didn't realise it until six years later, but a friend of mine of seriously contemplating suicide.

I remember him appearing at my place some night. He didn't seem particularly distressed or down to me, but he wanted to go for a walk and the topic was suicide, but not so much performing it but in the sense of this conversation.

The details are sketchy now, 'cause I paid no mind to the conversation at the time. But mid last year my friend admitted to me that our conversation that night was ultimately the deciding factor as to why he shouldn't commit suicide.

Simply because I asked the question: Have you ever gone sky diving? His reply was no. My resulting statement was: Well, what's the point of killing ones self if you haven't experienced everything that can be fun in life?

Apparently, that stirred some thoughts and eventually he decided that, well, things might be shit now, but there's a lot of fun stuff to do on this gigantic planet, perhaps things will get better.

For the record, although he is on antidepressants, he's a fairly well-rounded guy with plenty of friends, a good social life and no major dramas to speak of.
Tiberath wrote:
Without reading the currently 36 comments:

I was under the assumption that the US allowed the use of marijuana for medical purposes. If she is in that much pain, can't a doctor give her a 'green card', as it were?

As for the smoking of marijuana: Provided people aren't trying to convince others to try it, I have no real issue with it, and dabble with it myself from time to time. If your mothers partner (or ex, as it seems) tossed her out for having a puff, then they clearly aren't compatible people, and I doubt he actually cared for her very deeply if at all. I sure as hell wouldn't toss my girlfriend out if she dabbled once or twice in something I disapprove of (heroin, for example). Until it started becoming an issue (addiction, diverting large amounts of income to support it, etc), and even then, I'd attempt to solve said issue before giving up.

Now for the suicide: It's a tricky subject in of itself, and is also a rather difficult one to talk about, especially on the internet. Simply because people are douchebags. There's no escaping this. If someone was seriously thinking of suicide, and posted on a blog about it. If that blog has enough readers, I guarantee that someone will post "do it". And in that state of mind, one confirmation, even if not serious, is all a suicidal person needs for justification.

Then you have the issues of euthanasia (assisted suicide). Which is another kettle of fish. I don't know about anyone else, but I doubt I could assist someone in killing themselves. And I highly doubt many other people could either. I don't know about military personal. They do shoot people, but I suppose they're in life or death situations, so they could also fall under this theory. People may talk tough, but the gravity of taking a human life is quite large and can effect hundreds of other people.

I like to think in a perfect world that everyone should be able to live a complete meaningful life. And whatever ailments they have can be treated or managed with the use of medications. But this is clearly not the case. At the end of the day, I think the decision is entirely up to the individual, and before doing so, they must weigh each and every aspect of their life to determine if it is necessary. Something no suicidal person can actually do.

Congratulations for being one of the smartest people ever to post on a suicide blog post on byond. (Me knowing that this, like, the 4th in about 2 or 3 years)

But seriously, your post has so much intillect and big words that I didn't doubt you at first. But then again, even though most of what you used for your support was based in fact, its still an opinion, and people are going to be douchebags. Especially on the internet.

And especially since your one of the only people who has expereinced it second-hand and therefore have better information.

But ANYWAYS, how about lets leave the topic alone for now? Suicide is a dark subject and I dont feel like wasting anymore time trying to understand the who's, why's, and maybe's about it atm.
You can't judge someone's mental state without, first, having an equilibrium to compare it to. And other than the biased opinions of society and the innacurate data scores that tried to understand the depth of human knowledge, we know nothing.

We don't know if the people who are "crazy" cannout comprehend what we can because of a brain "defect" or because of their own will.

Suicide doesn't make you crazy. It makes you dead.
I'm trying to figure out if Galactic Soldier is trolling or serious. I hope the former, 'cause if it's the latter, I have just lost faith in man kind once again.
I just wish someone would lock this so that no more retards post here and ruin the subject -_-
I think he is serious, but Im saying its ruined because there are comments here (some I agree with, most I do not) that are biased and trollish. Its ruined because its meant for the truth of what you think.

If he sincerly thinks that, than HE is mentally unfit. Not the people who have attempted suicide and deserve to die in his eyes.
Oh, and as for stories, people who commit suicide when in a depressed, substance-induced states (i.e., drugs or alcohol) are fucking stupid. My father did this last year, and I still call him an idiot in his grave.
How do you commit alcohol?
Page: 1 2 3