ID:110949

Descriptive Problem Summary:
Unable to enter the game (Duel Monsters Genesis).

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
I Login as usual, I find the page with DMG servers (version 3.9), I click Play Now, then click OK from the Launch Application window. However, this only gets me to a yellow loading screen saying: Looking for Save File ..., and Player Records, and I get stuck there. I used to be able to play before and now I can't. Please help me.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:

Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Every time.
In other games? I only play DMG on Byond.
In other user accounts? I only have 1 user account.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? It did not occur in earlier versions of the game itself (DMG), but I had the same version of Byond when it still worked.

Workarounds:

Thank you.
I'm not sure which "Launch Application" window you're referring to since that's not part of our software. If you're running some kind of security software that brings that up, try disabling it to see if the problem goes away; it could be interfering with BYOND. It's also possible that you're having a file permission issue on your system, if you're not running as an administrator.

Beyond those suggestions I would think you're probably looking at a bug in the game.
Wanted to say thanks for the help. As it turns out, one of my friends had answered me. All I needed to do was to uninstall and re-download BYOND. Don't ask me how that worked, but I'm glad it did. As regards the Launch Application window, (which is also where I got stuck in the new problem I developed, and which I just posted about today), it is not related to any security. It is a normal part of the procedure for joining a server in DMG.

Anyhow, thanks again.

Uther
Hi, sorry to have to disturb you personally, but I need to know who I have to contact in order to get my question answered.

I got a new problem with accessing Duel Monster Genesis for this PC, which I posted about almost 2 weeks ago, on 26/03/11, to be precise. You yourself closed that issue as 'resolved', simply telling me to post it somewhere else, like BYOND Help. I did so, and have yet to receive a reply. I posted several times in different places in the Help section to try and get someone to lend me a hand, but up till now have been completely and totally ignored. Does anyone at all look at these???

Please talk to me ASAP, cos it is utterly frustrating that after all the effort I made to compile a complete and comprehensive report, I don't even get a sorry attempt for a piece of advice...

Sincerely,

Uther
Sorry about that. Usually the help section does get regular attention but it must be an off week for the people who've been helping out. Please note however that your issue has come up many times in the past and there should be existing answers in the forum search.

Simply put, the issue you're having is a failure to connect to the BYOND hub. There are several possible reasons. If you go to a command prompt and type "tracert hub.byond.com" you should be able to see if your computer is even able to connect at all; if it is not, the problem is your ISP. Otherwise, the problem is almost always at your end, usually due to a misconfigured firewall.
Hi again. Thanks for answering me. Anyhow, I tried that command prompt (I had to Open my Byond Pager, Click File, then Open Location, then type that in right? And the result I got was once again BYOND Central is not accessible. Does that mean the problem is my Internet Service Provider? And why would this problem come up like this all of a sudden, when I used to be able to access before? Sorry about the questions if maybe they seem stupid, but I am not too knowledgeable about these things. By the way, I actually turned my firewall off, so I really don't think that should be an issue, right?

Thanks again, and sorry once more for annoying you.

Uther
As I said, you'll need to run tracert on the command line to determine if your ISP is the culprit. This is even more likely to have come up suddenly if you are using a college's network to connect, as we've had seen some users run into problems with overly aggressive P2P filtering and it's possible a university could have mistaken BYOND traffic for something else.

As for a firewall, you may have turned off one firewall but left another one active, as it is common for users to be unaware that they are running multiple firewalls.
This is an issue with outdated versions of BYOND. See this topic for details: http://www.gamerscripts.com/dmg/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6690. The DMG staff would prefer if you could use the forum to isolate further connection issues so that everyone can benefit from solutions posted. Thanks.
That forum thread does not mention any specific BYOND versions that are involved, such as which ones have the problem and which ones fix it, so I have to say that without details the advice given there is too vague to be of real help to anyone.