Not a bug
BYOND Version:480
Operating System:Linux
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.16
Applies to:DMCGI

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:

I was getting this message as infrequent "spam" in my DMCGI error logs:
CGI Error: unexpected HTTP request method: HEAD
BUG: Aborting CGI

Since first noticing the error, I've included a methods check
to divert head requests.
(diverted to avoid calling GetEnv(HTTP_COOKIE) or returning ). Anyway, this seems to have solved the crashes, but...

Expected Results: Since the error message isn't internal to Dantom.CGI, I would expect the crash report to tell me where it crashed and why.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? prior to my fix, every time a HEAD request was received, as far as I could tell
In other games? error present in logs of all DMCGI websites I run
On other computers? also occurred on previous server

Workarounds: This isn't a critical issue; however, it does spam the logs with errors that are difficult to track down.

Actually, I'm still getting the same "CGI Error"s, though apparently less frequently.
The message is generated from BYOND internally. I don't think your workaround code can work because the hard-coded error should trigger before that. You're probably seeing the error less frequently because whatever misbehaving crawler (one assumes) was sending you those requests has mostly moved on.
I was wondering about that, but I figured if that was the case, you'd let me know. Should I make this a feature request then?
I think it's safe to leave this in bugs for now. HEAD requests are common enough that we probably want to at least return something basic or blank.
I get the impression that HEAD requests are only useful for bots/crawlers, but that alone might make it useful for development. For example, giving developers the option to use the
approach could help boost search engine optimization.
This is more in the realm of a feature request so I'm closing the bug report.