ID:111753

Not a bug
BYOND Version:480
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.16
Applies to:Dream Maker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Objects with "Big Icons" seem to stick into a player's view even if the original object is not in the view(). This happens especially when a big icon is adjacent to an opaque object, and a player moves to the opposite end of the wall. The big icon, if large enough to "stick" into the wall, would be completely visible on the other side regardless of the opacity.

I made a post about this here.

Screenshots:
[1]
[2]
[3]

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
The only way I could work around this would be to use separate 32x32 icons, but I wish to avoid that.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:

Expected Results:
The trees in the above screenshots (1-2) should not be visible outside of the luminous area, and in the 3rd screenshot, the tree should not be visible at all.

Actual Results:
The trees are visible in both situations.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?: If you move at a certain position you can get the tree to be visible and invisible to the player.
In other games?: I haven't tried.
In other user accounts?: Yes.
On other computers?: I haven't tried.

When does the problem NOT occur?: Never.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
It occurs in all versions I've tried.

Workarounds:
Splitting the trees into 32x32, which would be more effort than it's worth at this point.
This isn't actually a bug. With big icons, if any part of the icon is visible then the whole thing must be visible. Opacity can cover individual tiles, though it looks like your case isn't demonstrating that, and I believe that all falls out of the custom luminosity system (sd_DAL perhaps?) that you're using. I can confirm that in recent testing on another project, I had opaque shadows covering part of a big icon just like they should.

From what I see, the unlit tiles in your selection images aren't being properly covered with blackness, which I think is the fault of the specific luminosity engine you're using. Mixing a system that was only designed for single-tile icons with one that was not is what's causing the confusion.
Ah, I see. I chose ShadowDarke's engine because it was easy to implement and I didn't think there would be any conflictions.

I think in this case I should probably make my own luminosity engine, or just not use a custom luminosity effect. Thanks!