Jetpack Adventure

by Jotdaniel
Jetpack Adventure
Use your jetpack to avoid the obstacles.
ID:111764

Jetpack Adventure!

Use your jetpack to fly through the levels while trying to avoid touching the walls and obstacles in your way.

After starting a new game you will automatically start moving forwards and falling down; hold the W key to fly up to help avoid obstacles. Don't touch anything but the finish line!

Whats Coming:

1.3: - Hopefully all new art; We'll see.

Release Notes:

1.2b & c, Custome macros enabled, New movement system in b, adjusted for slower speed variation in c.

1.2a: - Improved interface, removed alert messages.

1.2: - Removed File menu, no point in having it.
- Fixed some turf density oversight, if edge is only one turf thick you wont be able to go through it anymore.
- Some general code optimization, should not effect gameplay.
- Added music and sound effects, including a countdown to start each new round.

1.1: - Removed angled walls due to bounding boxes, you can go through the white lines.
- Added pixel collision.
- Increased jetpack response, you can fall faster and lift faster now, movement is a little smoother as well.

1.0a and 1.0b: Fixed login, Thanks Teka123. Fixed Scores uploading to hub, thanks OrangeWeapons
Ah ok, yeah i was kind of changing the idea of your game with those suggestions.

But cool ok, seems nice anyway, keep up the good work.

Two things i'm not keen on is that:

1. You immediately start falling when u enter the game.
2. When you hit the wall, you do not restart?
I could add a countdown to start if that seems more appropriate. Second, there are no extra lives, if that is what you mean, but you should get an alert that says "Would you like to try again?" with Yes and Quit as options.

EDIT: Oh wow, the whole start button is missing, I need to check that.

EDIT EDIT: There we go, used src in the wrong spot :D Try it again, Theres an alert with New Game or Quit when you enter, thats how it should have been.
Oh nice, That's how it should be, that's good to see.
Why are you the only one that gets an uploaded score? 0_0
That was starting to worry me. I honestly don't know. Ill see what I can do.
:O good spotting lol.
FIXED :D

I must have changed something with SetScore() after I tested a round, I accidentally told it to only set the score if you already had a score uploaded. It's now noon, and I'm going to bed. Thanks for the feedback, both of you.
My pleasure, no problem and i'm glad the games coming along well.
Now be off with you and sleep.
3 things that make this so much better

1 Little music and sound effects
2 a hot jetpack chick
3 some more graphics
Nice work so far. Couple ideas just throwing out for your consideration.

- Hit detection on angles needs some improvement. I collided with walls without ever visually hitting them.

- Consider adding the concept of "bonus points" where colliding with a coin or something gives you +1000 if you dare yourself to go the narrow path vs the easy one.

- Some sounds would be good.

- Fewer post game dialogs. Try none. You could use W to start which makes the starting more intuitive.

- While I think this approach is fine and simple, you could make movement freeform but keep the map scrolling so player can go get "bonus score" items from dead ends and then scoot back before they get trapped.

- You could add other objects (lasers, traps, and etc).

- Consider showing jetpack off when W is not being pushed.

- Consider pausing game between levels so player can tend to things like dinner in the middle of a good run.

- Consider a multi-player mode with "bonus items" so its a race to the death but collecting more tough points could still earn you the win even if you die sooner. Consider looping the maps (if you don't already) and increasing the speed (reset bonus items).

- Consider power ups.
- 2x,3x,4x score multiplyer (hard to get).
- 2nd Chance (Super tough)
- Change size for time right before tough area.
- Teleport to finish

Consider changing themes per level. Consider theme changes every so many levels.

- Consider a hold altitude button (option) which is limited or slowly replenishes over time.

Tsfreaks wrote:
Nice work so far. Couple ideas just throwing out for your consideration.

- Hit detection on angles needs some improvement. I collided with walls without ever visually hitting them.

- Consider adding the concept of "bonus points" where colliding with a coin or something gives you +1000 if you dare yourself to go the narrow path vs the easy one.

- Some sounds would be good.

- Fewer post game dialogs. Try none. You could use W to start which makes the starting more intuitive.

- While I think this approach is fine and simple, you could make movement freeform but keep the map scrolling so player can go get "bonus score" items from dead ends and then scoot back before they get trapped.

- You could add other objects (lasers, traps, and etc).

- Consider showing jetpack off when W is not being pushed.

- Consider pausing game between levels so player can tend to things like dinner in the middle of a good run.

- Consider a multi-player mode with "bonus items" so its a race to the death but collecting more tough points could still earn you the win even if you die sooner. Consider looping the maps (if you don't already) and increasing the speed (reset bonus items).

- Consider power ups.
- 2x,3x,4x score multiplyer (hard to get).
- 2nd Chance (Super tough)
- Change size for time right before tough area.
- Teleport to finish

Consider changing themes per level. Consider theme changes every so many levels.

- Consider a hold altitude button (option) which is limited or slowly replenishes over time.

Very good suggestions, I'm not going to address them all, but I had already thought of a few.

- I know the pixel collision is bad, because there is none :D this is something I will be doing.

- Bonus points, I think I deleted a comment I had mentioned this in, but I may add this.

My wife wants me off the computer now :D I'll read over your post again later, very good suggestions.

If you press space bar to continue, wouldn't it make more sense to have space bar also control your throttle?
SuperAntx wrote:
If you press space bar to continue, wouldn't it make more sense to have space bar also control your throttle?

I don't want someone accidentally skipping the instructions or the end/score screen because it's the same button; I originally tried this and it didn't work out so well.
Just add a two second lockout on the button when the screen comes up. Games like Dragon Age and Fallout do this with their dialog systems so you don't accidentally pick a bunch of answers when skipping through the chatter.
Most addictive game I've ever played, by the end of that run my hands were shaking.
Acceleration/decceleration is too high, and it would be good to have an endless mode instead of round based.
Prefer the previous up/down "speed". This one doesn't appeal to me at all.
Pretty fun, had me busy for a minute
Accel/deccel seems even higher now, was better before.
Page: 1 2