ID:112015

Not a bug
BYOND Version:481
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 4.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
There is strange behavior when TOPDOWN_LAYER is used with images in an isometric environment.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
create an atom in an isometric world and attach and image to it, the image will use TOPDOWN_LAYER. Move towards and away from the atom with the image.

Expected Results:
The image will appear on top of the atom

Actual Results:
the image moves in the opposite direction that the screen shows, causing it to move in from off-screen as you approach the atom, and move towards offscreen as you move away from the atom.

Does the problem occur:
always, on any isometric map. any account, any computer

When does the problem NOT occur?
When TOPDOWN_LAYER is not used, though, this is counteractive to the necessary use of the layer.

Workarounds:
None yet. (still testing)
On a side note, images do not flick with their attached atom. I can see how this is not wanted in some cases. Perhaps we can make another variable for images that allows you to turn on/off flicking for the atom it's attached to?
I'm not seeing anything untoward with TOPDOWN_LAYER here. I think you're probably just a little confused as to how it should work. The purpose of TOPDOWN_LAYER is not to mix topdown maps with isometric per se, but to allow users to go to an all-topdown map for special purposes (i.e., have a topdown building interior or battle mpa in an iso game). A topdown image definitely will appear to move oddly as you move around the normal iso map.

Inasmuch as the behavior you're describing is perfectly normal when mixing the two map modes indiscriminately, I believe it's appropriate to close this report.
Then is there any way we can have a layer switch that works with isometric mode that will allow map objects to appear above screen objects?
BACKGROUND_LAYER can be added to any screen objects you want to appear below the map.
The issue is, I want only one object on the map to appear above the screen object, while everything else is below it.
basically from top to bottom:

Image with special layer tag
Screen object
map
brackground layer

I'm making the world look darker by using a mask that goes over the screen with a 150 alpha level. I was trying to get the object to "shine through" y being at a higher layer than the screen object even though it is on the map.

perhaps a SCREEN_LAYER tag that only works for isometric maps and allows an object on the map to appear above screen objects without moving the layer of the screen objects themselves?