ID:112255

BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Internet Explorer 9.0
Applies to:Website

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
Whenever a certain advertisement shows some of the menu navigation items at the top when moused over show their options below the advertisment.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1.Navigate to http://byond.com/
2.Keep refreshing until you get the advertisement that shows up above the drop-down navigation menus at the top of the page.

The advertisement appears to be underlying at the following page.

http://cdn.w55c.net/i/0RCM19wT4U_2122340321.html

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
Not Applicable

Expected Results:
All Advertisements shown on the BYOND page will allow you to use the top bar for navigation as intended instead of the ad shown above the navigation menus on mouse-over.

Actual Results:
This one advertisement seems to break the site so that it will appear over the navigation menus, annoying as hell when that advertisment actually does appear.

Every other advertisment allows the site to look & view correctly & allows you to use all the menus & links but this one advertisement covering up some of the menu items you might need access to in the mouse-over menus.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?Every Time
In other games?Not Applicable
In other user accounts?Yes
On other computers?Yes

When does the problem NOT occur?When that advertisement isn't displayed.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? (Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)
Not Applicable.

Workarounds:Refresh the page until that one advertisement isn't displayed or type in the web address to where you want to go instead of trying to use the navigation menu.

---If it can be fixed all the better to you but the advertisement should be blocked or it fixed in some way to allow this advertisement to be shown below the top navigation mouse-over menus like the rest of them do.
The link you provided is dead, so it must be a temporary page. A sceenshot would be better since it would show me which ad you mean, but so far I haven't been able to get the ad to appear.

It'd also help to know if this happens in a non-beta IE version, or in Firefox or Chrome, or if it's strictly an IE9 thing.
The link I provided does appear to be working across all my pc's & it is an advertisement showing 0% apr on the 2011 mazda3: sport car.

I have IE8 on one PC & IE9 on the others so this advertisement doesn't only get the chance to appear on IE9.

I don't know however why the advertisement isn't showing up for you even when you visit the link directly(you did right?)

Anyways I haven't tested firefox or chrome as I don't use them on any PC.

As for something you may not know about IE9 it's a reccomended update through windows update for Windows Vista & Windows 7 & is out of beta.

The new internet explorer version that's in beta is Internet Explorer 10, this can be shown by visiting http://ietestdrive.com/ which they show the tests for their new internet browser(s) & that they already got a test version of IE10 out....however I know IE9 hasn't been out of beta long, since March 14 a little over a month ago but it's out of beta & is a reccomended update through windows update.
The link he posted works for me
Huh, my adblocker seems to have had trouble on that link. I disabled it on our site but when I went to that link directly it still had issues. Interesting.

I see it's a Flash ad. Apparently this is a well-known problem with certain Flash ads that don't set their wmode parameter properly. Usually this is done for performance reasons I guess, but it kinda sucks that there's no simple solution around it. There's a script out there that fixes that, but it doesn't impact iframe content, which means it won't work for Google's ads. Gah.

More info here:
http://coding.scribd.com/2010/11/13/ flashheed-fixing-the-flash-z-index-problem-for-ads/

Sadly this looks like a difficult problem to fix.
Is it really that difficult to refresh the page one time? I thought I submitted pointless bugs. >:(
Lummox, you are right, it's a flash advertisement & I looked it up the same as you to find no real way to make it show up correctly, but it's only one advertisement, maybe it would be possible to block this one advertisement, and if it is how would I find the info you'd need to block it on your end?

I had went to the developer code window to find the link to the page directly but maybe you need another piece of information I can find instead somehow or somewhere else so you can block this advertisement properly?

---As for Super Saiyan's response I put this up because after I get an advertisement once it likes to repeat quite a bit in short amount of time, so I would have to refresh a few times to get past this advertisement, it's just a waste of time.

---If you fix the issue by blocking it or tell me how to get any of the information that may help in blocking the ad, etc... i'll be glad to help.

I got the advertisement already coming to post here which is annoying, it likes to give me the same 5 ads like 100 times then it switches & it's still on the set of ads that includes the messed up one.