ID:112292

Celestial Chaos: Adventures has been updated several times since the last SG Dev News (about a week ago). It now has equipment systems, and options to customize your hair style and color. All of the audio has been swapped out with free effects available under a creative commons use license. A system has also been added so that players can join other players parties while already in missions. This should improve how accessible and fun this main gameplay concept is. Countless other things have also been fixed, added, changed, removed, etc. As always, a full list of updates can be viewed in the game.

The next version of Adventures will feature a redesign of the interface (unfinished in that screen-shot), equipment systems for your companions, possibly improved trees, and a few changes to Territory Wars. The redesign of the interface will also be forcing the implementation of a few more HUD based systems, in place of interface based pop-ups, which should probably happen for all systems sooner or later (interfaces suck).

Box Art, I need some. Some sort of design that will be synonymous with the Celestial Chaos series, and that could function as the cover of the box if this was a retail game. I'm open to suggestions, maybe even submissions. I was thinking something with a white dragon overlooking an epic battle. And/or maybe something specific with the title text's appearance, like Final Fantasy does. This "box art" will be adapted for hub images, banners, title screens, and most other general representations of the game.

Subscriptions in yo face! Mostly due to the recent take-down of my games, subscriptions will be undergoing some design philosophy changes.
I've been keeping the bonuses provided for subscribers fairly balanced, mostly cosmetic, and somewhat limited. This obviously isn't a working formula, and has barely kept an income large enough to support the games (the servers alone cost almost $400 a month). In the beginning of this copyright mayhem, I changed the pricing plan for subscriptions, but due to popular demand, the old pricing and time periods are back.
If SilkWizard truly is making $10,000 a month of off a failed NES game wannabe (which either he and/or Tom has lied about), then I should surely be able to make that much off of a collection of the best games on BYOND. I'll be adopting some of his cheap marketing tactics. A screen, as soon as you log in, that hints: "Subscribe now, or you might as well not even bother playing", for example.
I've also been keeping the advertising of such features somewhat hidden, since BYOND has shut down my games for openly displaying such things in the past (have I mentioned how awesome the administration around here is?). Now that all of my games are "original", this is going to change. Subscriber buttons will be everywhere, features will be prominently advertised, and aspects of gameplay will be centered around them.

Graphics, graphics, and more graphics! Graphics are important, I'm not just talking about in-game character animations here, but more-so about "interface" graphics. Having a plain box with some text written across it is just lame. A small graphical icon, or even a graphical button with text is superior, and a standard that I plan to bring most aspects under my control into.

For any developers new to BYOND, I spread this message of hope to you: Get out while you can! It becomes more apparent by the day how worthless BYOND is, and how undeserving it is of being related to gaming. Unity is an amazing alternative, so far beyond BYOND (ha hah!) that I don't know if it can even be considered an alternative. Its offered for free, can do everything BYOND can 10,000 times over, and is just as easy, if not easier to use. Unity is even capable of making console and mobile games. If you haven't already devoted years of your life to mastering DM, or becoming a mind blowing artist of pixels locked into a 32x32 box, then you should move yourself over to Unity ASAP. BYOND is an underwhelming game engine, capable of almost anything, but at a cost that doesn't make those goals rewarding or worthwhile. If you plan on making anything other than a MUD, get out while you can. Even if you do plan on making a MUD, there are better platforms for it.
EDIT: As I mentioned in the comments below, there are some great video tutorials, and official project tutorials available for Unity.

On an unrelated note, KhaosParadox should be banned from posting in any public areas of the site. His constant scam posts about assets he doesn't have, aspirations he won't live up to, and paid positions that he's unwilling to actually pay for; its just getting ridiculous at this point. He's been making such claims for over a year now, and obviously can't, or just wont, actually follow through on anything. His spread of false hope is almost as bad as NEStalgia's.

If BYOND is so bad then why are you still here?
Magicbeast20 wrote:
If BYOND is so bad then why are you still here?

Because I HAVE already wasted years of my life mastering the engine, pin-pointing the community's interests, setting and then raising the bar - not only for games, but for the software itself, and I'm currently invested into several projects using BYOND. The only thing halfway worth looking forward to around here is the Flash client, and that's mostly because it should allow us to distance ourselves so far from BYOND that players won't even know it exists.

Moving myself to Unity surely isn't out of the question, and is, in fact, something that I do plan on doing, eventually. I had actually worked on a couple of projects with it a while back, but somehow, sadly, fell off that wagon. It was, however, one of the best experiences I've ever had, not only related to game development, but with any software in general.
This is just an ungodly amount of trollbait.
I agree with the KhaosParadox part.
He's never mustered together anything more than a few screenshots of art that he probably didn't even make.

Regardless, I've been messing around with Unity for the past few days and would love it if you would want to help me pick up on some of the basics.
Kumorii wrote:
I agree with the KhaosParadox part.
He's never mustered together anything more than a few screenshots of art that he probably didn't even make.

Of course he didn't make the art; he's hired some pixel artist(s).

Duelmaster409 wrote:
Of course he didn't make the art; he's hired some pixel artist(s).

The issue isn't if the art is original, or in existence, or amazing. It most likely is all of those things, we've all seen the screen shots. The issue is whether or not the art-work is anything functional. From the looks of it, it most likely isn't. Its just several, one shot, single frame sprites, that are compiled together to make "screen-shots" that clearly aren't taken in-game.
That dragon may look amazing, but if he only has a single frame from the side, he isn't going to be worth much when it comes to gameplay. And they've used that same cave background over 9,000 times.
You're stupid to the point it's mind boggling.
KhaosParadox wrote:
You're stupid to the point it's mind boggling.

And you're a delusional liar. Which makes your claim about me being stupid...?
Yes, I've paid pixel artists money to draw single frame sprites, to fool the masses of BYOND, a community I've never really involved myself in up until Eternia's development.

You caught me.
KhaosParadox wrote:
Yes, I've paid pixel artists money to draw single frame sprites
I doubt you've paid anybody

to fool the masses of BYOND, a community I've never really involved myself in up until Eternia's development.
Was there development? Development of fraudulent screen-shots, maybe...
Falacy wrote:
KhaosParadox wrote:
to fool the masses of BYOND, a community I've never really involved myself in up until Eternia's development.
Was there development?

^Dayum.
Kumorii wrote:
Regardless, I've been messing around with Unity for the past few days and would love it if you would want to help me pick up on some of the basics.

I found this video tutorial series superbly helpful for learning the basics. Though, it may be a bit old/out dated by now. There are also several high quality tutorials on the Unity website. The engine's interface itself is brilliantly intuitive, so it shouldn't take too much effort to get used to.
Kumorii, for Unity you should learn C#, Boo or Javascript (Was Javascript, right?), it supports those languages :D!

Still trying to make some shit with it, but hard D; can't even set player location (Suck!)
Your computer looks... eh, weird? Also that test tab looks purtty what does it do? :3
Mner2 wrote:
Your computer looks... eh, weird?
Its set to windows classic theme to reserve resources

Also that test tab looks purtty what does it do? :3
Has a billion verbs for debugging and/or quick testing things
I have been makeing games off this site for about a month and have had 2 iphone games already release i cant get a team to build a game on byond and if i could i would be makeing 10k a month ez
DungeonDan wrote:
I have been makeing games off this site for about a month and have had 2 iphone games already release
With Unity? Sounds interesting. Links?

i cant get a team to build a game on byond and if i could i would be makeing 10k a month ez
Doubt it. Majority of the players around here are children, with no access to money. And I doubt anyone would be willing to straight up pay just to play a game, like with iphone apps.
Duelmaster409 wrote:
This is just an ungodly amount of trollbait.

Well, it does contain the word 'SilkWizard'. That's about as big of trollbait as you can get around here.
Unfortunately, that is true. xD
Page: 1 2