Falacy, I think you're missing a very important point.

Byond is for kids.
You've out grown Byond, That's cool, It happens. But why all the bitterness?

Did you lose your shit when your mom refused to breast feed you?

When you go to Mcdonalds do you freak out because they don't have Silent Hill.

Byond is meant for newbies who want to get a little taste of what it is to be a game designer, Not lifers.
SmashTiger wrote:
Also the fact that I develop as a job, it would be overkill to do it as a hobby
I doubt it, unless you're just really really bad at your "job". Also, that hobby theory is idiotic, unless you just don't enjoy the activity, in which case, you should probably find another job. Though I understand why people consider BYOND a hobby engine, because every game on here completely sucks and doesn't even come close to a commercial game, that concept isn't necessary. If BYOND was competent enough to take just a few steps in the right direction, BYOND could become a major/professional development platform.

1. Pointers are fail? Apparently you never used an array or list of any sort.
Arrays/lists are not Pointers. The way they reference things are vaguely similar, but they are far from the same thing.

Also Java is pretty much the only language to not use them and suffers from poor performance.
Java must be the only language that you've ever used, and if its suffering from poor performance, than that's probably due to your own lack of skill. As you said, Java doesn't use Pointers. Visual Basic is one of the most commonly used languages, and it doesn't. Flash's AS doesn't use them either. I can't think of any commonly used languages that do, besides the C based ones.

2. DM does make everything easier.
The only way it makes anything easier it by having certain things built in - like graphical rendering, networking, and (poorly designed tile based) movement. The language itself isn't any more complicated than others. A "hello world" type example in C++ and in DM are nearly identical, and both would be confusing if you weren't familiar with the language. Having all of those built in simplifications only removes a bit of the flexibility and performance compared to handling them yourself. Not to mention, practically every language has something like this that it excels at by default, and usually it doesn't have to trade flexibility or performance in the process.

Get your head out of your ass.
You need to take that advice far more than I do. At least I have a reason for acting better than you. You're a little nothing that nobody has ever heard of, and you don't even come close to knowing what you're talking about.
Using technical terms doesn't make you look smart, it often does the opposite, especially when you're using them wrong.

I would love to see you do all the Socket programming required in C or Java.
I'm not a master of those languages like I am with DM. However, that has nothing to do with those languages being more complex, its simply because I haven't worked with them every day for years. And even with that disadvantage, I'm sure I could get any systems setup with them easily enough. I've written complex applications in both VB and C++ before, you're not as big a deal as you claim to think you are.

Markfoot wrote:
But why all the bitterness?
Consult Tom, he's the one being as big of an ass as he possibly can. There's also the little issue where they removed my games (even after they were "original"), ban me on a regular basis, blatantly give special treatment to those willing to pay them off, and are generally reluctant to make even the most minor of improvements to their pathetic "game" engine.

You've out grown Byond, That's cool, It happens. [...] Byond is meant for newbies who want to get a little taste of what it is to be a game designer, Not lifers.
That shouldn't at all be the case, well, only as much as it should be the case for video games in general - which shouldn't be the case at all. The fact that you, and seemingly majority of the BYOND community, seem to think that; it just proves how worthless BYOND is in its entirety

When you go to Mcdonalds do you freak out because they don't have Silent Hill.
What the hell does that have to do with anything? It doesn't even make sense...
Okay. Few things Falacy. When you program all the day, the last thing you want to do is come home and program more. BYOND is a hobby engine, I agree with you there.

You also have no clue how things like lists are implemented. May I suggest you take a Data Structures class before you spout nonsense?

As far as poor performance for java. Look up something called Garbage Collection and tell me the overhead difference between one that is automated like Java and one that is explicit like C.

Having things built it makes things easier! That is like saying C++ is no easier than C despite having things like Strings and STL container classes.

Here is the difference between you and me. I nowhere claimed I am a "big deal". In fact, I am not one on the subject of DM. However, until you create an engine like BYOND on your own, you cannot possibly see how much DM handles for you.
Falacy, few things. Generally, when you program for an entire day the last thing you want to do is to program more.

On the subject of pointers, you obviously have no clue how things like lists are implemented. May I suggest you take a Data Structures class before making such an idiotic claim that they are far from the same thing?

Falacy, look up the overhead difference between Explicit Garbage Collection and Automatic Garbage Collection (Java). There are research papers on it.

Oh and doing stuff for you generally makes things easier. That is like saying C++ is not easier than C despite adding Strings and STL container classes.

Until you make a engine that handles all the low level things required for the user, please don't talk about complexity.
SmashTiger wrote:
Falacy, few things. Generally, when you program for an entire day the last thing you want to do is to program more.
If you don't enjoy your job, then quit, its not my problem.

On the subject of pointers, you obviously have no clue how things like lists are implemented. May I suggest you take a Data Structures class before making such an idiotic claim that they are far from the same thing?
Sounds like you still don't understand, and are trying to vaguely link technical terms together incorrectly. Pointers are used to reference points of memory. You could use a pointer to reference an array. You can reference points in an array in a vaguely similar manner, as I said, but they are not the same thing. You could master the use of Arrays and have no clue how to use Pointers, or vice versa. Vast majority of programming languages don't use pointers, so its an irrelevant point anyway.

Falacy, look up the overhead difference between Explicit Garbage Collection and Automatic Garbage Collection (Java). There are research papers on it.
I don't need to look those up. Even if I didn't know what they were, their names are almost explanatory. This is your only complaint about performance? This should have a minor effect on overall project performance, if your entire system is bogging down, then you're definitely doing something wrong. BYOND handles garbage collection automatically, as does most everything else.

Oh and doing stuff for you generally makes things easier. That is like saying C++ is not easier than C despite adding Strings and STL container classes.
Having those things built in makes those specific things easier. However, it doesn't make the language fundamentally easier. Using DM vs VB to make some sort of patient management application for a hospital isn't going to be inherently easier, it may actually be more difficult.

Until you make a engine that handles all the low level things required for the user, please don't talk about complexity.
I've made a simple system for rendering sprites and moving characters using VB, its not exactly an engine, but it was handling some of those low level concepts. Was it more complicated than having BYOND handle those things automatically? Obviously, but I've written more complex systems than those with DM coding.
Just a few things of note here:

1.) After having several conversations with Tom, he's not anywhere near as...condescending as this post makes him out to be. Context is a great thing which is missing from here. It's not as if this is the first time Tom has ever had to interact with Falacy, and this is certainly not the first time that Tom has ever had to deal with Falacy along the lines of discipline. That being said, sure, Tom could have handled this better, and I'm sure Tom knows that he could have handled this better. There's a reason BYOND has (volunteer) moderators and administrators to manage the community.

2.) Unrelated to this conversation mostly, you make a lot of feature requests. A lot of them make me think "Oh yeah, that would be amazing!" I think a lot of them are great ideas. Some of them, however, are long-term overhauls that require more work than you might perceive. BYOND is over 12 years old and, as such, has suffered from the evolution of programming over the years in ways that you might not immediately be able to imagine. Does that increase the odds of some requests being more manageable than others? Definitely. Is Tom, ultimately, alright with that? No. Is there anything he can do about it immediately? No.
Audeuro wrote:
After having several conversations with Tom, he's not anywhere near as...condescending as this post makes him out to be.
lol Maybe not towards you, in conversations. As he said himself, we've actually had civil communications on occasion - which half the time was him asking me for suggestions, and then half-ignoring what I suggested. As usual, I'm just waiting for the next time that comes around.

It's not as if this is the first time Tom has ever had to interact with Falacy, and this is certainly not the first time that Tom has ever had to deal with Falacy along the lines of discipline.
And not a single one of those scenarios has been handled properly.

There's a reason BYOND has (volunteer) moderators and administrators to manage the community.
So that they can use the "volunteer" aspect as a reason for having the worst moderation in existence? A community this small should be easy for a single supreme authority to moderate (especially if it had competent admin tools). Hell, even just automated filters would be better than the inconsistently biased BS that most of the current moderators pull off on a regular basis.
Tom is a nice guy. Generally speaking, you have to REALLY piss him off to get him to get him to say some of the stuff he's said here.

As for the moderation tools, I feel that they are plenty sufficient for the relatively small size of the BYOND community.

As for what you claim to be 'inconsistently biased BS', I'm thinking what you're seeing is the work of multiple moderators and a lack of strict guidelines allowing for more lee-way in deeming what is and isn't appropriate as opposed to bias. If it were bias, you'd see more posts being hidden than not.

Is it safe to assume from lack of response that you see where I might be coming from with point #2?
... Yawn.. more foolish dribble drabble from foolish foolish foolhardy fools' with equally foolish ideas, Youre so foolish youve even made me sound like a foolhardy fool...
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Youre so foolish youve even made me sound like a foolhardy fool...

You don't seem to need much help with that...
Audeuro wrote:
Tom is a nice guy. Generally speaking, you have to REALLY piss him off to get him to get him to say some of the stuff he's said here.
He seems like an averagely nice guy. He also seems even more egotistical than me. If you go against him, or suck up to him, you definitely get special treatment one way or the other. He is, however, a poor leader, and if I'm the only one willing to bring that peoples attention, then so be it. A much more competent hand needs to be guiding BYOND, not one that openly admits to making decisions for their own personal reasons, even when the entire community is against them.
I can't help but think that Dan was the entirety behind BYOND, with Tom simply riding on his coattails, and Tom has since been attempting to outsource the project that he couldn't handle himself after Dan abandoned it. I find it suspicious that Tom tries throwing in my face that he could "code circles" around me, when he has had to have every update since I've started using BYOND handled by somebody besides himself.

As for the moderation tools, I feel that they are plenty sufficient for the relatively small size of the BYOND community.
That's the exact mindset that leads to BYOND being so fail. "The tools suck, but so does the community, so its good enough". How about we actually strive for the best possible product, instead of just the bare minimum.

If it were bias, you'd see more posts being hidden than not.
How so? You think majority of the moderators have grudges against majority of the community?

Is it safe to assume from lack of response that you see where I might be coming from with point #2?
Do I agree that all of my suggestions are brilliant and should be implemented immediately? Yes. That the BYOND developers intentionally put actual improvements to their engine off because it would require actual effort on their part? Again, yes... Tom seems to be openly against such major, community supported improvements, and Lummox seems to openly admit on a regular basis that he doesn't comprehend BYOND's source code...
Falacy wrote:
Ss4gogeta0 wrote:
Youre so foolish youve even made me sound like a foolhardy fool...

You don't seem to need much help with that...
... ehh beggers cant be choosers...
Lol. Falacy. smh..You're still at it. If you don't know what you're at then ask. I'll be glad to tell you. ;)
hmm seems to me that falacy wants respect for his work and how well done he does and CAN do it. His games have alot of potential and the reason why i started byond was becuz i wanted a good dbz game that will keep me occupied for awhile i looked on youtube and his game was the first one to grab my attention. i have to say falacy has made the best dbz games on byond(in my opinion) and he should be respected for his work.
Weird. I found HU1 the same way. And don't be such a stick-up. XD
Tom didn't even say anything all that harsh.
Naruto0727 wrote:
Tom has always sucked, he is "corrupt" with power.

Talk about suck ups.
I'm not gonna lie... NEStalgia does suck compared to a well structured addictive game.. such as many we can find on BYOND.. it really doesn't need to be the "Face" of BYOND.. come on.. really? The icons are so plain and everything. Just my 2 cents.
Falacy, the immature always-right attention troll.

You clearly don't dislike the BYOND engine, because you're still working with it. And you also clearly don't dislike the BYOND moderation because you're still in the community, which implies you've agreed to following the rules imposed by them.

Your actions and your words are not congruent in this aspect. As you yourself have said, "If you don't enjoy your job, then quit, its not my problem." And as far as I'm concerned, you're not anyone's problem in the community, although you're trying really hard to be. It's not something you 'get'; it's something you 'earn'.

I also greatly enjoy the low level of professionalism, sensibility, or seriousness with which you handle the situation. You are using vocabulary and grammar similar to that of a 12 year old at times; how do you expect anyone to take you seriously with that sort of attitude?

Also, I've come to realize that you think that most bans and "censorships" applied to you feel "personal" to you because you are one of the few people that have gone far enough as to deserve such actions; and the people that usually cross such lines are not worth knowing about, which is why no one knows about them. SilkWizard is an asshole, yes, and he is a great developer too, and while I do not like him one bit, I cannot deny that the posts from him that get featured or promoted are safe to read and informative. I'm quite sure that if he had crossed the line in any of his posts, Tom or any other moderator would not have published it. There'd be no reason to do so, really. No reason.

While I can only truly speak for myself, I think the community would greatly appreciate it if you changed you put yourself in others' shoes: you are not Tom's boss. You do not tell him what to do; much like I am not your boss and I cannot tell you what to do.
Tom will work on what he and the moderators believes can and should be worked on. You'll work on what you think you can work on; not on what I tell you to work on. Of course, I can always try and convince you to work on something; but that doesn't mean you will work on it.
You cannot work on the engine, you do not know how it works, and you won't ever work on it. Tom, on the other hand, does/is quite the opposite. Quite literally, in terms of engine tweaking and updating, he knows better.

Do not whine; provide. Do not emphasize problems: only emphasize problems as problems if they have viable and accessible solutions. Viability and accessibility rely heavily on a few points mentioned earlier (being able to work on the engine, talking to the person working on the engine).

Do not expect a reply. I'm glad I could get off this chest, and (unlike you) I won't shove it down your throat. If you're willing to reflect upon it, then great; otherwise, too bad. I have no reason to give you the benefit of doubt, since you have constantly demonstrated that you are not worthy of any serious attention or support, as you have not provided any of that serious attention or support recently (or, in my personal experience, ever).
Mrgranger1 wrote:
hmm seems to me that falacy wants respect for his work.

Alot of people did respect him up until his recent attitude change (even I lost a majority of my respect for him)... i mean just browse around his old forums... there was nothing but love for him. but he ruined it for himself... no one forced him to act the way he has been acting... he needs to take responsibility for his own actions
Page: 1 2 3 4 5