ID:1123473

BYOND Version:N/A (Website Bug)
Operating System:Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 23.0.1271.97
Applies to:Website

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Why is the "number of players" count always wrong. Go to games right now, Eternia says it has 46 players. Click on it, and there's only 29 people there.

I have also often seen my game reporting 1 player, I click on it, and there's 3 or 4 for example.

For as long as I can remember, its been like this. Why can't we get a working player counter?
Doesn't it take time to update?
In response to Blastcore
Blastcore wrote:
Doesn't it take time to update?

But why? Especially when I can create, delete, and edit entire posts on the forum in less time than it takes to update.

Or how all those same players can run around a world simultaneously and have that information updated to each other.
If a constant connection was used for every single game this would surely put a lot of pressure on the hub's server think Of it like a DDOS attack.

Although Tom did mention here that the pager continuously pings the server...
The numbers won't be exactly in sync because there is some delay for the website to refresh its cache (so that content doesn't have to constantly be regenerated). However, this is done frequently enough where the numbers should never be off by more than a few users. What you are reporting is definitely a bug. It looks to me like that game had an inordinate amount of "private" users so I wonder if those were spurious connections from world.Export() etc.