ID:1124304

Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Double clicking on an image file in the dream maker object tree will open in windows when it is detected as being too big for dream maker's icon editor.
This would definitely end some frustration.

+1
I think it would be time better spent getting Dream Maker to actually open the files, no matter what the size is, instead of redirecting to Windows default image viewer.

I don't know what the problem is. I don't recall ever running into an image editor that put any kind of restrictive limit on the size of images you can open.

If Dream Maker is "protecting us" from some kind of slow down or instability that may result from opening these larger images, then maybe there can be some kind of checkbox somewhere that will remove the restriction, at our own risk. I'm pretty sure most modern computers will easily run whatever Dream Maker can throw at them, assuming it doesn't just instantly crash.
In response to Multiverse7
Multiverse7 wrote:
If Dream Maker is "protecting us" from some kind of slow down or instability that may result from opening these larger images, then maybe there can be some kind of checkbox somewhere that will remove the restriction, at our own risk. I'm pretty sure most modern computers will easily run whatever Dream Maker can throw at them, assuming it doesn't just instantly crash.

Editing large images is already kinda unbearable with the icon editor. It seems to struggle drawing anything bigger than 32x32. You know you've got problems when you're experiencing screen tearing with an image editor.

In response to Multiverse7
Multiverse7 wrote:
I think it would be time better spent getting Dream Maker to actually open the files, no matter what the size is, instead of redirecting to Windows default image viewer.

I don't know what the problem is. I don't recall ever running into an image editor that put any kind of restrictive limit on the size of images you can open.

Fact of the matter is, the icon editor sucks. I'd rather just have it open in windows.
In response to FIREking
FIREking wrote:
Fact of the matter is, the icon editor sucks. I'd rather just have it open in windows.

The only problem with this is the icon editor doesn't seem to play well with other image editors. Copy/pasting an image from PDN or Photoshop will turn transparent areas to white.
In response to SuperAntx
SuperAntx wrote:
FIREking wrote:

The only problem with this is the icon editor doesn't seem to play well with other image editors. Copy/pasting an image from PDN or Photoshop will turn transparent areas to white.

I was honestly just hoping for .png files to open in windows image previewer... I'm not asking for some elaborate request here. Just allows windows shell to open a png file when its too big for the icon editor.

if(ispng(file) && image_width(file) > 256) windows.open(file)
Huh, I thought we did that already.
In response to Tom
Tom wrote:
Huh, I thought we did that already.

Not over here.

I'm on windows 7 64 bit professional
I had byond version 498.1163 last I tested this.
Probably we used to and then changed it when better supporting big icons. Anyway, should be easy to put in a heuristic.