ID:112468

BYOND Version:481
Operating System:Linux
Web Browser:Firefox 3.6.16
Applies to:Dream Maker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
So My friend and I spoke about this..
it happened to him I just thought it sounded like a bug.

He has the Newest Version of byond (just to note)
He Opened Dream Maker
Went to File>Open Environment
selected all of his .DMI files and hit Open
Now apparently he cannot use them, they aren't read in Games or Dream Maker and appear invisible.

Unfortunately that's all the info we have
we don't know why it happened we just know it happened.. I had him try opening them, relogging into the game we were playing, but nothing.. he had no luck, corrupted .DMI Files.

If this isn't a bug I apologize for wasted space..
but I think people should be aware of the possibility.

The Info I've provided is my own, sorry but I'm not aware of his.. I just know it's one of the more recent windows versions.
This has existed for quite a while. Opening a .dmi as an environment will corrupt it.
Ok
Would you consider it a bug?
It's definitely strange that you can open something that isn't a .dme with it, and that it corrupts the file if you do so.
.dme files get altered upon opening, which is why the file is going corrupt. Simply put, opening a file as an environment that is not one is a bad idea. Dream Maker already has a .dme filter in place for the Open Environment command, so you actually have to go to great lengths to have a problem.

While I honestly don't consider this a bug, I do think the file opening behavior could be improved on. However because you actually have to make an effort to get this to happen, I think it's extremely low-priority.
If you could actually open a file, without having to have an environment open, people would probably have less of a problem with this.
BYOND already seems fully capable of this, but for some reason the file menu for Open... is disabled without an environment?
What would you consider easy, if your opinion of "great lengths" is to change a single common file drop down?