ID:112621

Well I've been weakly dedicated to my BYOND Fan-game, Pokemon AtraNoctis. I recently got back to working on it when my hand was injured and I became, in a term, bedridden. While nosing around the BYOND site, I ended up reading "NEStalgia's Success" and became extremely envious to receive even half the priority that NEStalgia has.

Truth is, I don't know if I want to scrap my work and research on PAN to chase after the idea of a new, original idea. But I am sure that I will have to pick a side since my brain probably couldn't handle the making of two different games.
If I were to continue work on my fan-game, it would probably stand out from the basic Pokemon Genre that overrides BYOND. However, that's the problem. It will never be anything more than a fan game, and will always be looked down upon in the elite BYOND developer community, no matter how advanced it is.

But there appears to be more cons in converting to a new idea. In doing so, I would have to find a way to reach originality. Honestly, I adore the pet-based strategy game genre which includes Pokemon, Digimon, and Shin Megami, so I wouldn't want to deviate away from this genre. However, they appear to have filled in any gap when it comes to originality. If I add types, its a Pokemon ripoff. Befriending a pet resembles the negotiating tactics of Shin Megami. Digitally stored? Why hello Digimon! They even overlap each other in some situations. Besides the general game play, I'd have to restart completely with graphics. I'd have to make sure to avoid the Pokemon style I have adapted. Then there's leveling and stats. I researched the pokemon level up system and realized that the formulas for it are simple yet extremely usable. It would be difficult for me to have such smoothness without making some variation of the formula...

I guess all I want is some suggestion from someone as to which path to go down. Or, perhaps some extreme motivation...
WOW....You seem to be having a tough here and may i just say whatever you just said here is very interesting. What i suggest is that you should just continue on making your Pokemon game.