ID:112846

BYOND Version:481
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 12.0.742.16
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue may be low priority or very difficult to fix, and has been put on the back burner for the time being.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When setting ".configure echo-commands" to "on" no commands are echoed when used.
Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1. Open up Dream Seeker
2. Open Command input via Options and Messages Client Menu
3. input ".configure echo-commands on"
4. use any command
5. be saddened by the lack of echoing

Expected Results:
Echoing of any command, correct usage or not of said command.
Actual Results:
NOTHING!
Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? Yes.
In other user accounts? Yes.
On other computers? Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
It always occurs.
Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
I assume since the dawn of Interfaces and removal of the classic DreamSeeker Echo (!) button, haven't really checked.

Workarounds:
shift or control + up to see previous commands

Considering this command isn't documented, how is this a bug?

What would the "correct" behavior (please be more descriptive than "echoing") be in 4.0?
It's a bug cause...the command literally does nothing, but it did before?

Well, back in the day, there was a button on the Dream Seeker. You could either turn on echoing that way, or by typing in ".configure echo-commmands on/off" (or even ".configure echo-button on/off"(there was tons of .configure commands back then, most of which are useless now).
Basically, it'd output the exact command you entered into an input. It'd only do this if you entered the correct command, so if I typed in 'say "poop"; with either the echo button pressed, or with that configuration on, it'd output my exact command that I put in in a purple generic text.

I assume it'd be the same behavior as above. >_>
I don't recall there ever being a button in DS for this. There was a chat button and a macro button, and the arrow key interface.

Still though, I don't see the point of re-implementing this. Does it serve a purpose?
YE' OLDEN TIMES

It's the little ! above ALT and the balloon.

I guess it kind of does serve the purpose of showing players the exact command they entered, possibly also a good way of a developer logging commands users use by being able to send them elsewhere instead of programming a log system and adding it to every command. Perhaps if it's re-implemented it could not only catch inputs, but any verb command (unless control_freak is enabled). Dunno, just seems like it'd be good for testing and tracking to me.
I can vouch for this. I used to do this on my earlier MUD projects. The command echo was in purple and italics, I believe.