ID:112921

BYOND Version:481
Operating System:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 11.0.696.65
Applies to:Dream Seeker

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When moving the mouse around various interface elements with a custom cursor, the cursor will flicker to the systems cursor, and flicker back to the game's custom cursor when stationary.
My default cursor for Hazordhu is a single state (no animation).

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Create a game with a custom cursor icon and a few interface elements, then move the cursor around the interface.
This can be seen on Hazordhu.

Expected Results:
The cursor to stay animated when moving around interface elements.

Actual Results:
The cursor will flicker (as it's moving) from the client system cursor to the custom cursor.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Every time
In other games?
Yes
In other user accounts?
Yes
On other computers?
Untested

When does the problem NOT occur?
Untested

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked?
As far as I can remember, interface elements always used the client's system cursor.

Workarounds:
Untested. Although I'm assuming none, since there is no documented control over cursor animation involving interface elements that I could find.

I'm hoping since this is (as far as I can tell) a new feature that we'll be getting some control over cursor animations in the interface? :D
I've seen this happen, however it's not often that it occurs. I'm on XP Pro SP3 if this helps.
I tested it on my XP SP3 laptop, playing Hazordhu and Clone Corps, it occurs on both.

I also tested again on the same test project I posted on my last report, and it happens there, too.
Which interface elements in particular are giving you this flickering? I still have the demo from your previous issue 2819, and what I see there is that all the interface elements override the cursor, except (oddly enough) on their borders. I'm not seeing any flickering.
I've noticed it happening on the info panes, but I haven't seen it happen often enough to give a solid case in point.
So far the only weird behavior I'm seeing is at the border around the grid control in that demo, and within the grid control I can get the red X cursor to show up if I click; if I drag the cursor reverts to an arrow, and the next time I move the mouse after releasing I will see an X again, briefly.
The glitch is only appearing on the test project on the borders (I was a little tired when I posted that, my bad). On Hazordhu II however, it happens on all interface elements. I'll let you know what version of BYOND the server for Haz is running as soon as Kai gets online. I (as the client) am using 481.1090, so it might be a backward compatability issue.

I'll also get info from the players online, to see if they're getting it as well.

Several players are also getting this bug, running the same BYOND version (481.1090).
This is also happening in my game..
I've figured out when this happens.
1. Have a non-default cursor (custom cursor)

2. Move your cursor onto a window (made by dreamseeker) that is not the main window.

3. watch the cursor go insane.

I can make a test world for this if necessary.
Bravo1 wrote:
I've figured out when this happens.
1. Have a non-default cursor (custom cursor)

2. Move your cursor onto a window (made by dreamseeker) that is not the main window.

3. watch the cursor go insane.

I can make a test world for this if necessary.

There's more to it than that, otherwise it would be happening all the time in my old cursor demo, which uses the exact same implementation as Haz does. I'm guessing it's backward compatability with the server version of BYOND as opposed to the current version of BYOND.
Cursor blinking is never a backward incompatibility issue; that would imply the server-client communication had anything at all to do with the way Windows paints its controls and the mouse cursor. However the test project I have available from your last bug report does not show the problem in any meaningful way. If you have a new test project where this happens reliably, I'll be happy to take a look.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25108410/Test_Cursor_Flicker.rar

There's a test world I made. The instructions for how to get the effect is in there. It seems to only flicker when the mouse is moving, unless you're using HDKMouseKeys and are overriding the UpdateMouse proc that is included with that library.
Lummox JR wrote:
Cursor blinking is never a backward incompatibility issue; that would imply the server-client communication had anything at all to do with the way Windows paints its controls and the mouse cursor. However the test project I have available from your last bug report does not show the problem in any meaningful way. If you have a new test project where this happens reliably, I'll be happy to take a look.

Thus far, I've been unable to recreate it locally, which leads me to believe it's something between the server and client? I'll get a server up and test with my laptop-desktop in the next few days and let you know what I come up with.
Cursor flickering is a draw issue. If it only happens remotely then something about the delays caused by the network communication could conceivably be triggering it to happen more often in those circumstances, but the communication itself would not be the direct cause.