ID:112967

Resolved
MouseWheel() has been added to client and atoms. It takes two forms:

client.MouseWheel(object, delta_x, delta_y, location, control, params)
atom.MouseWheel(delta_x, delta_y, location, control, params)

As of this release, only delta_y is supported. A full "notch" down scroll is delta_y=-120, and a full "click" up scroll is delta_y=120. Wheel messages will not be sent if the mouse is over a browser or a scrollable control.
Applies to:DM Language

This issue has been resolved.
Would it be possible to add functionality of the mouse wheel?

When you left click, right click or middle click it returns the type of click it is to the parameters for the procedure. (ex: Middle click results in "middle" showing up in the parameters)

perhaps the new tag can be "wheel". When scrolling down it calls MouseDown() and when scrolling up it calls MouseUp() both cases using "wheel" as the button being pressed.

There are many uses for control like this, most games these days use the wheel in some way shape or form and it'd be a really nice addition.

I'm not sure if this would be difficult to implement but if it is then I understand and I apologize for wasting anyone's time.
I think it'd be a nifty mouse function if we were able to detect mouse wheeling up and down.
In response to Ss4toby
This sounds interesting, but it needs to be fleshed out a little more. The mouse wheel message is sent to whatever control the mouse pointer is currently over, so this would have to be implemented in a way that didn't interfere with that.
Is this even feasible?
I wouldn't re-use the MouseDown() proc because current games may use that proc assuming it will be triggered from a mouse click and these new mouse wheel events could cause problems. Maybe it would have to be something you enable on the map control (like right clicking). This would also save bandwidth because if you don't have it enabled, your client doesn't need to bother telling the server about mouse wheel events.
Bump. Any chance of this?
Wouldn't it be quicker to just have it act like two keys on the keyboard? Scrolling down is the "scrolldown" key and scrolling up is the "scrollup" key. You could assign macro's to these, and we're off to do whatever we want with those. I personally would just have it increase or decrease a value.

//pseudo code
set scroll down macro to call set_scroll(-1)
set scroll up macro to call set_scroll(1)

client/proc/set_scroll(n)
scroll += n

//Example:
-> on quantity input focus
store current scroll value
-> while quantity input has focus
set relative scroll value
update logic, display update
This. We have support for differentiating between right, middle, left mousepresses, but the scroll wheel would be a godsend. Eternia currently uses a clunky text scroll system for non-maptext onscreen text. It's a pain for people to have to click the up-down arrows manually, and would be better if I could have the mousewheel increase and decrease the scroll value instead.
Not only that, but it could also be used to control different functions in game such as item selection, map size, etc.

Could you imagine how many DBZ fan games would use it so you could raise/lower your power level on the fly?
+
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Yessss finally I see how I want my HUD to work and it relies on this.
In response to Rushnut
Rushnut wrote:
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Yessss finally I see how I want my HUD to work and it relies on this.

My exact thought (:
Indeed. This would be good to use in text instead of the traditional "Press X to continue", when hovering over the mini-map, scrolling to change zoom. The possibilities are end-less. Also, glad to see Bravo's a DBZ fan. :D
+1

This would be really nice.
Merged Request:

Game controls are very important and it seems odd we don't have the all the options of basic functionality.

At the moment it can only identify if the wheel is clicked, I would like for the scrolling aspect to be read if possible.

I totally back this request.

Just a few days ago, while working on Murder Mansion (surprise!), I thought, "Hey! It'd be nice of me to implement mouse-wheel scrolling on my action item selection, to give the players even easier access to their "inventory"."

So, I went looking for the proper built-in mouse functions to use (MouseScrollUp() and MouseScrollDown(), perhaps?) assuming that they must be in there already, only to find out that they're not!

For shame.
I'm uh, bumping this request.
I'm going to add on to it, and request support for MOUSE4 and MOUSE5 as well as MOUSE1-3 (left, right, middle click, etc). If mouse support gets reworked to add the scroll wheel, it would be nice to also add in full support for mice with more than the regular buttons.
The mouse functions already support left right and middle the issue is they don't support the scrolling of the middle only the clicking.
This would be quite useful in pretty much every game.
Page: 1 2 3 4