ID:113226

Keywords: dwarffortress
I've decided that I'd like to make a post, about every Friday, talking about a new obscure game each time. I won't be choosing BYOND games because the point of this is to introduce insanely fun games that are sadly underrated, overlooked, and unpopular/obscure. The majority will be indie-made "hidden gems" that can be found on the internet for free. Information, links and references will be located at the bottom of the post.

Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress is an indie game made by Tarn Adams and Zach Adams, both brothers working to create something extraordinary. Tarn Adams is the sole programming and co-designer of Dwarf Fortress, with Zach assisting in the design of the game and moderation of the Bay 12 forums. Tarn is a mathematics major (Ph.D) from Stanford University. He used to be a math teacher, but he decided he wasn't happy and came up with Dwarf Fortress with his younger brother Zach. Dwarf Fortress has been in development since 2006 and is still an incomplete but very playable and literally epic. Tarn currently lives off of donations, and makes about 30-40k a year off of the generosity of people alone.

Oh, and Minecraft? Yeah, Notch has previously stated he got the idea of Minecraft from imagining playing Dwarf Fortress in a first-person perspective.

Now, why does Tarn earn enough from donations to live a steady life and work full-time on Dwarf Fortress? Because his game is so ahead of our time, it has to be temporarily watered-down because our current processing technology can't handle the full vision Tarn & Zach have for the game. That said, even now the game will make many modern computers fall down and beg for mercy. Why is this so? What, are they rendering some kind of super-graphics in Dwarf Fortress? Let me show you:

Behold, the absolutely amazing graphics of Dwarf Fortress. Shed a tear for technology.

Let me cut to the chase; what you see above is no joke. The game is completely rendered in 2D, ASCII graphics. This means on a vanilla install there are virtually 0% graphics. Don't let this get to you, you can install some tilesets and graphics if you're willing to go through some minor trouble.

Dwarf Fortress is a 3D game, meaning you can build enormous towers piercing the heavens and dig down into the core of the Earth and possibly hell itself. You generate a world much like you do with Minecraft, only you can play on the world more than once. Not only is the geology generated, but civilizations and empires play through hundreds of years of events until you stop the process or it stops automatically. Once done, you will effectively have a world with thousands if not millions of people and diverse cultures. Each person in the world has their own personality, their own story, their own troubles and glories. Wars are fought between Humans, Elves, Goblins, and Kobolds, each of them involving simulated warriors that are more than just statistics.

The main game leaves you under control of seven dwarves embarking on an expedition in the glory of their mountainhome. All of these dwarves come with pre-defined personalities, physical traits, and religious complexities. You have complete control over what items you want to bring, what the professions of the dwarves will be, and where you are going. The game fast-forwards to the present, where you arrive at the embark site with your wagon stocked with supplies. These supplies obviously won't last for very long, so in order to survive you have to begin digging a home for your dwarves and attracting the attention of migrant dwarves and merchants to expand your fortress. Over time you'll also attract the attention of hostiles, whether they be war enemies or the mundane hostility of goblins, kobolds, and exotic megabeasts.

Bay 12 Dwarf Fortress page: Click the "Windows" link under the SDL category.

The Dwarf Fortress wiki: Here you will learn how to play the game.

Look at that, look at that bullcrap, look, loo- OH MY GOD! JESUS CHRIST, IT'S BURNING THEM ALIVE!

I'm a big fan of DF. Definitely looking forward to the "Secrets" of zombies coming up.
darwf fortress is way to complex to play the last time i played i was stuck at the begging part
dats becuzse you didnot read the wicki!
Added another picture because why not.
2 cat
Dwarf Fortress is amazing.
'Nuff said.
No mention of Stonesense?
I should've mentioned there are a few 3D and isometric (namely Stonesense) visualizers but I've found that they aren't as useful as they are pretty.
I would just like to add that my GSD entry will be similar to Dwarf Fortress, except it won't require visualizers and things of that sort because the graphics will already be pretty decent.
Interesting idea, impressive simulation, but godawful interface makes for mediocre game. I'll play it when the authors make it playable.

The reason it's slow, by the way, is not because of some advanced simulation, but because ToadyOne, math PhD or not, is a crappy programmer.
Toadfish wrote:
The reason it's slow, by the way, is not because of some advanced simulation, but because ToadyOne, math PhD or not, is a crappy programmer.

The game isn't slow if go into options and change the CPU used for rendering graphics to a lower setting and then also have an almost decent computer.
It runs perfectly smooth for me, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.
And the interface has to house tens of thousands of commands in a very small space, so I challenge you to do better in an ASCII game interface.
Oasiscircle wrote:
And the interface has to house tens of thousands of commands in a very small space, so I challenge you to do better in an ASCII game interface.

Now with a little exaggeration!

Vermolius wrote:
Oasiscircle wrote:

Now with a little exaggeration!
Actually, with the new military system and new healthcare system as it is now, it's not really that exaggerated.
The game runs at about 90 FPS at all times, except for when I hit the 50-dwarf mark, then it starts going downhill to about 60-50 FPS. The amount of frames per second in Dwarf Fortress is usually a used as a measure of how slow/fast the game is going, with 100 being usually the fastest and 1 being the slowest.
You probably have a good PC. I have a below average one - game got quite sluggy at startup/with a big fortress, and moreso, a deeply dug fortress. Which is quite annoying since, good PC or not, this game shouldn't be intensive on the machine.
Oasiscircle wrote:

Here: click.

Abandon ASCII interface, get some volunteers from the community (the guys who make a new tileset every day or so) to draw something which looks rational. Also abandon "tens of thousands of commands" in favor of a few dozen context sensitive commands. Problem solved.
Toadfish wrote:
Oasiscircle wrote:

Here: click.

Abandon ASCII interface, get some volunteers from the community (the guys who make a new tileset every day or so) to draw something which looks rational. Also abandon "tens of thousands of commands" in favor of a few dozen context sensitive commands. Problem solved.

The appeal of the game is the ASCII and the thousands of commands. Plus, it's easier for Toady to work on the GAME and not have to worry about graphics if he uses ASCII representation.
Graphical representation is also difficult. I mean, what does your modded creature look like anyways? And what of the varied creatures; it's hard to show that lemon colored hair from the pony mod, heh. It's kind of an abstract thing, and due to the many many described physical features of the creatures having graphics might be a detriment.
Let's not forget the fact that Dwarf Fortress randomly generates entire organisms when you hit the underground. You can have gigantic cows with 30 eyes and two heads, that also is crossbred with a spider and can spit venom and has acid blood.

How the FUCK do you represent that with graphics?
Page: 1 2