ID:113445

I'm still doing more thinking than actual programming. It is hard for me to begin a lot of work on the game until I am 100% positive what I want to do with the game. So, I just thought of some battle systems for the game.

Probability:
This battle system revolves a little bit around chance. Basically, you have 3 skills. To begin combat, you bump into an enemy. The skill you use is not determined by you, but by the probability of your skills. Take for instance a Healer class:

Strike: ( 50 % )
Fireball: ( 25 % )
Heal: ( 25 % )

This means that whenever you bump into an enemy to attack them, you'll use a basic Strike move half of the time. The other 50 % is split between some more useful moves, like Fireball, which does more damage, and Heal which would restore some hit points. After you use your skill, the enemy ( lets use a Goblin for example ) will also have 3 skills and will use the same rules as stated above. What will help add difficulty to the game is that the stronger the monster, the better their probability is. Meaning, a Goblin's basic move may only be 20%, but a Dragon's Firebreath move will be 70%. As the level of the monster goes up, they begin to use effective skills more often.

You still level up and all that good stuff, and your moves increase in effectiveness.

Let me know what you guys think.
Sounds pretty interesting, and I do like fantasy RTS games like this. Sadly I admit I still have not been able to get into Dwarf Fortress. :P
TheLionsRoar wrote:
Sounds pretty interesting, and I do like fantasy RTS games like this. Sadly I admit I still have not been able to get into Dwarf Fortress. :P

It's not going to be like DF, it will just look like it.
Sounds fair enough. Make sure to show us what three skills they have in game, and what level they're at through some sort of display when we look at a unit.
SqueakyReaper wrote:
Sounds fair enough. Make sure to show us what three skills they have in game, and what level they're at through some sort of display when we look at a unit.

So here is what I have now:

Basically, you start off in the middle of nowhere. You and up to 3 other players ( the rest will spectate ) will have about a minute to look around and gather some materials via chopping down trees and mining stone ( unlike Minecraft, you won't need to make tools for this, you just bump into the tree ). After the minute, the 1st wave of monsters will spawn and make their way to wherever the players are. Basically the object is to build a shelter and survive a constant invasion of monsters.

So if I could describe it, it's Resident Evil set in medieval times with a variety of monsters instead of zombies, and with the building aspect of Minecraft and with graphics comparable to Dwarf Fortress.

Also, I'm thinking about changing the skill thing. I'll let you know if I do. Right now I'm considering dropping the skill thing altogether and just having sort of a triangular system which will force players to sort of depend on one another.

Like Pokemon: Grass beats Water, Water beats Fire, Fire beats Grass. Basically, you'll have a specialty. Right now I'm thinking Melee, Range, and Magic. Melee beats Range, Range beats Magic, and Magic beats Melee. A Melee-type character will have trouble fighting a Magic-type monster, but will get an attack bonus when fighting a Range-type monster. And, as before, you attack by simply bumping into it.

However, I may discard this battle system idea. I will have made up my mind about all this by Friday.
Heh, good luck. Remember to treat the "deadline" as less of a deadline and more of a motivation- I'd like to see this worked on more after the date, if possible.

I like the idea of your survival multiplayer idea. Other than "walls", what can the players build? A mana pool? A healing area? Perhaps turrets that allow ranged attacks, but block movement?
SqueakyReaper wrote:
Heh, good luck. Remember to treat the "deadline" as less of a deadline and more of a motivation- I'd like to see this worked on more after the date, if possible.

I like the idea of your survival multiplayer idea. Other than "walls", what can the players build? A mana pool? A healing area? Perhaps turrets that allow ranged attacks, but block movement?

You'll be able to build loads of stuff. Eventually you should be able to build what looks like an actual castle, which is why I'm calling it "Gnome Castle".
Huh, good application of the name. I just hope making the castle will be practical; having it look nice will be fun, but that's a waste of resources and time when you can be building bunkers and more units (from the player's perspective, anyways).
SqueakyReaper wrote:
Huh, good application of the name. I just hope making the castle will be practical; having it look nice will be fun, but that's a waste of resources and time when you can be building bunkers and more units (from the player's perspective, anyways).

I'll try to make traps and things like that, where you could strategically fall back into your fort and lure them to their death. Turrets are a good idea as well.

You have to keep in mind though, the only peaceful moment will be the first minute of the game. After that, you'll be trying to fight and build simultaneously. Also, fighting will be almost mandatory because you will need to level up to survive. The waves of monsters get stronger, so if there is a certain player in your party who was just building the entire time, by wave 20, the monsters are level 15 and hes still level 3.

Building a neat base is apart of the game, but it's only half the battle.
Gotcha. Sounds like it'll be pretty exciting; good luck on getting it done!
Not entirely. You have to maximize your odds. That is, you know that a Level 7 has a good chance of beating a Level 1, but you can't consistently fall back on it. As long as there is some order to the chaos, it still takes skill and strategy- it just changes the playing field around a bit.
Not entirely.