ID:113747

Not a bug
BYOND Version:482
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Opera 11.10
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This is not a bug. It may be an incorrect use of syntax or a limitation in the software. For further discussion on the matter, please consult the BYOND forums.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
For some reason that I can't figure, the default map is not visible if, and only if, there is no map included with the project at compile time.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Create a client

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:
world/icon_size = "30x20"

client
view = 20

New()
..()
var/obj/O = new
O.icon = 'BG.png' //gray image with dimensions of 600x400
O.screen_loc = "1,1"
screen+=O

Expected Results:
The map should be visible and there should be a gray box on the screen.

Actual Results:
The map is not visible. mainvsplit.left is null where it should be "mapwindow".

This problem occurs:
On all of my computers, each with a different version of BYOND (481, 482, 483) and Windows (XP, 7, 7-64.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When I forcibly set mainvsplit.left=mapwindow.

Workarounds:
If I include a custom skin, the map displays just fine.

This is a very annoying issue because I quite often do not use maps and quite often I have found the project to not work and gone back and not been able to locate the issue, until last night. Now I know that there was nothing wrong on my end.
This is not a bug. The map pane is hidden in the default skin if no map is present, to deal with mapless worlds (think Lexiconomy).

If you set values for world.maxx/y/z, you will have a map to display. But without that, and with no maps compiled in, there is no global map and hence HUDs lose a lot of meaning.
That's stupid. I have two actual games that use HUDs and work without maps and without setting world.maxx/y/z. They work perfectly fine -unless- I use the default skin. It'd be fine if the map pane was hidden if the map wasn't being used, but it is.
I do see a point in that, though I'm not sure about its feasibility. I'll look into it.
Thank you. It doesn't really bother me now that I know it's an issue. I was going to write up a post on creating HUD-based games and this might hinder that a bit.
Well as a simple workaround, you could always just add a single 1-tile global map.
Indeed, there are several workarounds. Until last night, I was unaware of the problem. I've just been using custom skins. I only had issues when I was starting a new project and hadn't yet gotten to the interface.