ID:113760

So, I've released an early alpha version of Imperatorum for public testing/play. It is in no way complete, but I figured I would let anyone who is interested check it out to see how the battles will feel in general and whatnot.

It supports both multiplayer and single player vs AI in its current state, and there are directions for playing on the hub. Enjoy, leave some feedback, be it good or bad. I won't try to bite off your head for criticizing it.

Anyway, the hub link is as follows:
http://www.byond.com/games/Robertbanks2/Imperatorum
Screenshots increase the probability that people will download your game. If I'm gonna procrastinate from my homework, I at least need some eye-candy to pique my curiosity ;)

Although understandably missing for an early alpha, I'd still suggest adding one or two. Heck, you are a member, so it's easy.
Screenshots are... Well... Quite bland. As I stated, it's very early alpha and I really don't have any good icons yet. It's mostly just stick figures and solid blocks of color, though I suppose I may as well stick a couple up.
Well, it's a good starting point. And it's especially good that you're considering AI from the start, because it can be difficult to retrofit into an existing game.

There were two "bugs" I noticed:
1) When telling a unit to move a large distance and go across the river, it wouldn't always go. However, if I clicked closer to it and then click where I had wanted to go, it would.
2) If you change to another unit while your previous unit is still moving, it'll stop at the tile it's on

Also, you might want to consider auto-joining your red and blue areas of attack/movement. Then you could give them a solid border to better delineate them. The way the colors were blending, it wasn't always clear what was a part of my range and what was just discolored by dirt.

Of course, I assume you'll add attack animations, highlights for the current unit, damage displays, markers for already moved units, and ect once you get some art assets.

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)
DarkCampainger wrote:
Well, it's a good starting point. And it's especially good that you're considering AI from the start, because it can be difficult to retrofit into an existing game.

Yea, I wanted to be sure it could do both single and multiplayer from the start, as both are fairly major aspects of the game I intend for this to become.

There were two "bugs" I noticed:
1) When telling a unit to move a large distance and go across the river, it wouldn't always go. However, if I clicked closer to it and then click where I had wanted to go, it would.

This was fixed quite recently, and isn't present in the newest version.

2) If you change to another unit while your previous unit is still moving, it'll stop at the tile it's on

This I will fix for the next update, no idea why it does that.

Also, you might want to consider auto-joining your red and blue areas of attack/movement. Then you could give them a solid border to better delineate them. The way the colors were blending, it wasn't always clear what was a part of my range and what was just discolored by dirt.

I imagine this won't be nearly as much of an issue once I have better turf art in place, but I'll see what I can do about the blending until then.

Of course, I assume you'll add attack animations, highlights for the current unit, damage displays, markers for already moved units, and etc once you get some art assets.

Attack animations will come eventually, highlights for current unit I could do easily with a placeholder, I just didn't consider it. I'm going to be adding full stat displays for selected units for the next major update, and I may simply overlay a unit in gray to show that it's moved.

Keep up the good work! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out :)

Glad you're interested, always nice to have some people waiting on it.
This is pretty neat stuff, I look forward to more of this in the future.

Is there anyway for me to contact you privately? I'm a pixel artist who might be able to squeeze in some work for you in between jobs.
DixNeuf wrote:
This is pretty neat stuff, I look forward to more of this in the future.

Is there anyway for me to contact you privately? I'm a pixel artist who might be able to squeeze in some work for you in between jobs.

I'd love some help with the art, I'm pretty poor at that stuff.

My msn is:[email protected]
Aim is:omniscientant
Yahoo is:ohtorikyouya
Email is:[email protected]

Gotta love how it's all completely different, anyway I'm almost always available via IM, so that's probably the best way to get in touch.
I'll have a whirl of it this weekend, with my housemate.