ID:113796

Dear Byond Community,

If you look around, a lot of Blog Post consist of various people forming little developer/programmer teams/groups/squads or whatever to try and "make" a game. They usually offer a free spot on administration on said game and/or "compensation".

Compensation as in money, it seems. Half of these little groups are founded/controlled/lead by either very young or very foolish people who either do not have the experience nor money to handle their co-workers/partners.

Can someone explain to me why so many people want help when they could just code, map, and make pixel art by themselves? (Other than the obvious reason: They don't know how)

Sincerely,
Darwin Blake, King of the Noobs~

P.S (Sidenote:) http://web.midg3t.net/files/owned_noob.jpeg
Because they want to think they are something significant, when they're not.
And so they cover up their obvious flaws by trying to imitate a person with leadership.

That's what I think.
I think because it is more fun to work with other people and get there input rather than to work by yourself :/

Except when you butt heads...then you wish they would quit or burn in a horrible inferno.
http://www.byond.com/games/FantasieProductions/Fantasie

Oops, we're actually "making" a game! Sorry about that, maybe I should've been paying more attention...
Or they just find it more fun to make a game with friends then to do it alone. There are plenty of reasons for them forming teams but you can only get a true reason from them.
Lol. Kay then. Just wanted opinions, not more questions =P
Isn't it just for all the sweet rides and easy hoes?
BAZINGA!!!
I suppose you've never heard the phrase, "Jack of all trades, master of none" then?
Cody123100 wrote:
I suppose you've never heard the phrase, "Jack of all trades, master of none" then?

Maybe :c
A game is a lot of work, and having multiple people working on it seems to make sense. For people who have never been a part of such a venture in a work or school environment, forming a group and making it work is a very tough task. What these people are trying to do is ensure their team works by emulating real game making companies. In other words, "Square-Enix has a cool logo, so in order to finish a game, we need a cool logo". Many amateur pop musicians do the same thing when they start a band by dressing in outrageous clothing, wearing stupid hair-dos, and acting like complete ass-hats - because this is what their favorite rock stars do, so obviously destroying a hotel room will result in musical genius.
Oasiscircle wrote:
Because they want to think they are something significant, when they're not.
And so they cover up their obvious flaws by trying to imitate a person with leadership.

That's what I think.

I don't think that people are this conscious of it. BYOND has a lot of people who try to make games, but don't have the ability, so they focus on the easier aspects of game development (game title, development team name, title screen etc.).

Not only is this silly behavior, its misleading. It gives the developers a false sense of completion. If they have a game title, team name, and title screen, but don't have a game they view it as being 75% complete even though they haven't done any game development. After a few projects like this, they think they have experience.

Edit: I should also add that these "experienced" developers then think they're capable of making tutorials, demos, and libraries. This just makes things worse for everyone.
More people working on a project will get more done. Some people also have better skills with certain areas than other.
That and it's also a way of having friends join in the "fun".

To be honest, I prefer working with one or two other people because it helps keep me motivated to know that the entire load isn't on my shoulders.
Lol. Kay then =P