ID:113900

So yeah, Ive been struggling to gather enough motivation to pump out some sprites, but i just cant seem to muster enough to sit down for more than 10 minutes to work on a sprite. Depression also plays its part in this.sure its easy to be told that something will be done. But, there's always something telling asking: "whats the point?", "What will happen once it releases?" etc. in my subconscious,and the answers i get to those questions usually send me into some type of depression where i wont even want to set eyes on a pixelation tool.

Anyone have any "Remedies"?

Find the point to what you're doing. If you can't then there's literally no point in doing it.
I have to agree with Cody123100, you have to find a reason to do what you are doing and use that as your motivation. Other wise, your mind will keep wondering into depressive areas. you might even want to take a break from whatever project you are doing and take on a new project. Something fun and new to get the creative juices flowing again.
Well that's easier said than done.sure i can tell myself some fantastical goal,mind you i always try to keep a positive outlook on everything.

Maybe i do need a break...i mean pixeling for 4 years straight would get anyone tired right?

The funny thing about it is,id seem to have this great motivational urges to pixel something when I am not at the computer, but when i sit down and actually try to do it,i lose all that motivation in a span of about five minutes.
What I do is go and look at SEGA & SQUARE ENIX artwork. You could alternately start learning something else. :)

When I don't do pixel art I am drawing with my tablet, or trying to learn how to make music in FL Studio.
Zane444 wrote:
Well that's easier said than done.sure i can tell myself some fantastical goal,mind you i always try to keep a positive outlook on everything.

Maybe i do need a break...i mean pixeling for 4 years straight would get anyone tired right?

The funny thing about it is,id seem to have this great motivational urges to pixel something when I am not at the computer, but when i sit down and actually try to do it,i lose all that motivation in a span of about five minutes.

That happens to a lot of people. My mind will be exploding with ideas to put in a book i have been writing for a while now, but as soon as I sit down to write and get a few minutes of good writing down, its like all my creativity was drained.

I spoke with a professional writer about this once and she told me that it happens to her often as well. She says when it happens she uses the BIC (Butt In chair) method. Basically she sets a goal for herself like 5 pages a day. And she sits in that chair and types up those 5 pages whether she wants to or not. Even if all she is typing up is crap, she sits there and writes them out. And if it is a good day and she gets 10 or 20 pages, she rewards her self with days off to try and keep from over loading herself. She said, she does this because even if she isn't producing something amazing she is still producing. And when she gets back into the swing of things, she really gets back into it, which makes up for the bad. And sure, she might have wrote 5 pages of crap but when she is editing and revising she will just fix and change the bad into good and salvage a bad situation in the end.

So maybe this might not apply to what you need to do. But maybe you just need to find something similar. Something that forces you to be productive whether it is good or bad. Like sketching or drawing. Or learning how to do something else like Destiny Hero suggested! =]
Take a break from it. You'll find motivation eventually. It happens to me too.
I don't think it applies to pixel art but, for programming what I do is keep a simple change log. Any changes or updates I make, I record them in the log. Every single day I try to at least make one or two noteworthy changes.

At the end of the day I'll end up logging anywhere from 5 to 20 updates. Keep this up for a month and you can really see the progress you've made even if it's all back end stuff.
Basically listen to some epic music (requiem for a dream or ecstasy of gold are good ones) and look at some professional quality art (Metal Gear concept art is breathtaking) and if that doesn't work I sometimes just sit there with my tablet scribbling until I can see something taking shape, then i work on that.

Of course a break is always a good method.
You get free pussy When yah finish a project.
umm i know the feeling of not wanting to do any art or just cant get my self you do it with out geting up and turning on the TV but i found wat helps me is.To get away for a hour take a walk out side and look at the world, and think i can make a world just like this and bring it to life then i go in turn on some music that gets me pumped and do some pixel art hope this helps
Zane 444,please turn on a beta playing of bleach revolution.I am crazy for this game
thanks for the Tips.I'll try to get back into the swing of things
Usually when I'm faced with a lack of motivation, I think of the hottest girl I could possibly imagine. Then I picture myself giving her a soothing foot bath.

By the time I'm finished fantasizing, I'm pumped and ready for some game development!
Perhaps I may be of some help. I'm a musician and well... sometimes it's hard to get motivated to learn songs. Some songs I don't want to learn because I just don't prefer them but I have to for a show. Here's my solution:

What I do for music is I'll play a few good songs I really like that get me going, then learning doesn't feel so bad and I'm "looser" in a way. (Loose, not loser... lol)

So for art perhaps draw something you want to draw! Have fun! Make some smiley faces just to be doing it! Make something little, something easy, that doesn't take effort. Perhaps this will help motivate you into making something so much more bigger and better.
Nice work on that portrait if you made it yut put,though the dithering could use some touch ups.
hmm "remedies"......how about you just sit down and watch spongebob for like 2 hours straight
just do something else for a while. motivation can sometimes simply be an exercise in self-discipline, you're going to have to be willing to pump out greatness, regardless of motivation.
CyberDuelist wrote:
hmm "remedies"......how about you just sit down and watch spongebob for like 2 hours straight

and thats supose to help O.o
Page: 1 2