- Create a game which utilizes HEXAGONS in 60 days or less.
- Prize Pool:
- 1st Place - $100.00 (US currency) paid via PayPal or memberships - 25000 Resource Center Silver - 2nd Place - 25000 Resource Center Silver - 3rd Place - 10000 Resource Center Silver - BYOND Member Choice - 25000 Resource Center Silver - PopLava Choice Award - An offer may be extended to one entry where PopLava would offer to act as an investor, contributor, publisher, and promoter. The details of this offer will be provided to the winner of the award. The primary objective would be to organize a significant effort (devs, artists, and other resources) to help drive the game to a polished and published state. If an offer is made and accepted, it will be announced. - How Donations Work: - Donations will be split evenly among 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and BYOND Member Choice awards. Please send donations to firstname.lastname@example.org (PayPal) and specify Donation in the description. Every little bit adds up and helps motivate our devs. If a Poplava Choice Award is offered and the game is published, your name will show up in the game credits as sponsors and I will make every effort to include you in any additional rewards.
- Must utilize hexagons in the core game play. It can be the primary field of play such as a game board, field, map, and etc. It could be placed hexagon parts which interact with other hex based parts. The hexagons must be utilized as part of the core game play. A background image with hexagons that are not used in the game play does not count. Using pieces shaped as hexagons without any hex based interaction or functionality does not count. - The game must be made without using any of the 4.0 interface features which simply means, no interface.dmf file. - All commands and user interface components must be integrated into the map so the verb panel is out. - Must be a multi-player game. - Has not been released as a finished game. If it was released as a demo, example, or even in a previous competition, it's still eligible. If you have any doubts, ask. - Has not taken 1st place in another competition. - Use whatever libraries you want - Entries MUST BE PROVIDED as .zip/.dmb files before midnight on the deadline date. A link to your share, dropbox, and etc will suffice. I'll host all projects for the BYOND member choice awards. - 100% original or legally usable assets (code, sounds, art, images, etc). Submissions with ripped off works are ignored.
- Rules Disclaimer:
- If there is a gap in the rules that you are not sure about, please ask and I will clarify. I reserve the right to modify or add new rules to the competition to preserve the spirit of the competition (more specifically to avoid cheating!). Don't make the mistake of submitting an entry with a questionable loop-hole in the rules just to have it rejected.
- Other Stuff:
- Team captains decide how money is distributed. - I'm not responsible for ensuring your ability to receive the prizes. If your country doesn't receive Paypal, that is your problem to solve. - The official judge is tsfreaks. - Source code submissions aren't necessary. - Resource Center Silver awards are non-transferable. (i.e. no withdrawing)
- Judging Categories:
- Fun (1-10) - Interface (1-10) - Overall Creativity (1-10) - Theme (1-10) - Puzzles and Challenges (1-10) - Control (1-10) - Level Design (1-10) - Potential (1-10) - Wow (1-10) - Note: There will be no official scoring on Audio, Glitz, or Polish in order to promote more effort in other categories. Make no mistake, those things can certainly influence a judge even though they are not scored.
- Design Considerations:
- The entire point of the competition is to design for the Flash Client. In short, BYOND can provide multi-player experiences where most Flash games do not. Take for example, the Flash based game Hex Empire. This is a perfect example of where BYOND can do better by providing a multi-player experience. Aside from great looks, Hex Empire is just a casual based clone of Risk style games. Another key aspect of this style of game is the user interface. It's primarily contained within the map. - Another important thing to keep in mind is that we don't fully understand how players will log into our flash based clients yet. My recommendation is to try and make your log-in logic as decoupled as possible from your core game and interface so it can be swapped out for another system if needed. - Performance is a critical factor. The more static and event driven your design, the more users you can support per server/game.
- FREE RESOURCES:
- HexSource - For a limited time, I'm dropping the price to FREE on a hex based map example in the Resource Center to help people get a jump start. Here's the direct link: Hex Map Example
- June 6th: - Provide time for questions, clarifications, and sponsors. - Official Start Date which is based on the Resource Center server time. - Genre/Theme announced - August 7th: - Deadline is at midnight based on the Resource Center server time. You can see the clock in the bottom right corner of the Resource Center. - No extensions and no exceptions. - August 21st - Peoples choice awards complete - Judging complete - Results published - Prizes distributed throughout that week as quickly as possible.
Connect: Resource Center