Heya Forum_Account, your 'Tiny Heros' game is looking very good. And I thank you soo much for making these pixel_movement libraries, they are so much more flexible and interactive than my old one. Currently i'm making a side-scrolling shooter, that utilizes your library, well after I took your library apart and put it back together to add in all these new features for my game.
The game will have two different player options: Multiplayer; with advanced AI to fill up the space when there is less players, and many different game modes. And a Single Player Game: This part of the game will have tons of more features, run a lot faster, a story line and all the works. So thank you once again for making my dream game plausible.
And I have some suggestions For you that would make the libraries have some very useful and just plain-badass features. Making a rope effect, so you can attach onto them using the latter proc, and have it swing sort of fluidly like the SNES style ones. That feature also would allowcyrtain type walls you can walk through that fold over your body as you go through them, ribbons, flags etc.
Secondly, idk if this is in yet, but the ability to push and pull objects.
Thirdly, add a proc&variable to add in trails to mobs. for like rockets flame&smoke, the player itself to make a visual effect of running very fast, even for bullets to make tracer rounds or flare guns.
Fourth, To have bullets and projectiles etc to face(turn into) the angle they are moving in.
Fifth, sloped ramps. Like Sonic the Hedgehog as an example. Have the ramps Be able to be customized and even made into loops for say vehicles or moving mobs to loop around it if fast enough. And just sloped ramps, not loops, make you "get air" like jumpFor a skateboard game example.

Sorry for the wall of text,, IMO this would make your libraries so flexible, interactive and would attract many more intermediate programmers to utilize you wonderful creation.

(BTW); I have tried making all of this on my own, but I don't get great results, just bland less than decent results like you'd see on the NES. Thank you for taking time to read this. And thank you so much for giving BYONDsucha masterful piece of work. When you not busy could you comment here on if your doing to do them, that'd be much appreciated.

Also everyone else who reads this, could your express your feelings by 'yea' / 'nay' this post and/or comment on it.
Bakasensei, thanks for the suggestions. Most of them can probably be done without making any changes to the library, but I can add these features as examples in the demos that come with the library.

I always thought it would be neat to have ropes, but its been a very low priority. I do want to have a better way to handle pushing and pulling objects. I'll see if I can get a solid example of this in the next update. Your third and fourth suggestions could easily be added to the shooter demo in the Sidescroller library. The fifth suggestion might require some changes to the library, but I'm not sure how useful it would be.

Toadfish, the bosses just had more attacks but they didn't do anything that was intelligent. They just wandered in a small area and used their attacks when a player was nearby. You didn't have to figure out how to beat a boss, you just needed a lot of potions.

I guess it'll really depend on how many different dungeons I want to make and how much work I feel like putting into each one. I'd like for each one to have some unique enemies (besides the bosses), but I might run out of ideas. If most dungeons will have the same types of enemies, it would be wise to give them more varied behavior (otherwise there'd be no variety). If each dungeon has its own unique set of enemies then you're getting variety a different way.
The pleasure is all mine, and thank you for reading it and really considering my suggestions! Also yesterday I was in pain('Cos I have an ulceric stomach) and really drowsy etc from the pain medication I took, so now that i'm better i'll be able to clear what I said up. Yeah these suggestions are meant to be added demos or updating current ones, in the Side Scrolling Library.

#1)I'd say the 'rope' demo actually be a Advanced_Physics demo in the SSL(SideScollerLibrary). What it's for is to have multiple 'mobs' all connected with gravity pulling them straight down. Though when a mob(Gary) bumps into it(Rope), Gary basicly pushes the Rope around him. Then once Gary is past the Rope's distance it swings back and forth until stopping(This is basicly for making a curtain, wire, hanging lamp etc). Also there should be variables so that a Rope you make can be climbed using the ladder/climbing program. Though now East and West keys swing the rope, and jumping is what gets you off(Swing to far platforms) Also while ona rope people who run and bump through it makes it swing but with less force 'cos of you. Also variables to change the icon of the very top and bottom connector. Also variables for the mob/rope in it's whole to define it's length(Number of connectors), it's weight/flexibility(How far and fast can it swing; fastest=spinning ina full circle. And the opposite barely swinging a few pixel at a very slow speed.).

#2)Awesome, make sure you can push/pull stuff of the edge of things. Omg actually, maybe even using your rope to pull objects/mobs up from a cliff(Tho this rope pulling thing here would be my lowest wanted suggestion)

#3)Perfect! Also you could add variables to define the length(How many ticks before deletion). Also intensity of the trail. 1=trail every tick; 5=a trail every 5 ticks and 0.5=trail every "half a tick" (basicly adding 1 trail where the bullet was and another between that trail and the bullet).

#4)Good to hear

#5)It seems like making slopes wouldn't need you to change the library. Also i'm sure it'd be very useful, plus every popular side scroller game has some sort of slope in it ya know?
Toadfish, the bosses just had more attacks but they didn't do anything that was intelligent. They just wandered in a small area and used their attacks when a player was nearby. You didn't have to figure out how to beat a boss, you just needed a lot of potions.

True, I just remembered. However, Diablo wasn't a very fun game to play alone, you know. Now that I think about it most fun was derived from building up your character and playing in multiplayer than actually fighting the monsters. If killing stuff was fun it's because of the loot. Now, this isn't to say fun encounter design can't be done without good AI, but it's an important feature and there's no reason to ignore it. I think you should strive for getting variety in more than one way, and not trust your level design to hold the game on its own.
Bakasensei wrote:
#5)It seems like making slopes wouldn't need you to change the library. Also i'm sure it'd be very useful, plus every popular side scroller game has some sort of slope in it ya know?

You can make slopes, but they're straight lines. So you can't really make a nice circular loop like you'd see in a Sonic game. I hope your stomach is feeling better!

Calus CoRPS wrote:
I am not entirely sure what type of music you'd be looking for. I play the piano/keyboard, although I am still learning, and recently made this. If this fits your idea musical style for your game, I could possibly come up with some more pieces.

I like it, but I'm not sure that song would fit any of the environments I've created so far. Add a bass line and maybe some strings and it might have a nice "cave music" feel to it. I'm not musically inclined at all so it's hard for me to explain what I'd want, but I'll know it when I hear it =)

Toadfish wrote:
Diablo wasn't a very fun game to play alone, you know. Now that I think about it most fun was derived from building up your character and playing in multiplayer than actually fighting the monsters. If killing stuff was fun it's because of the loot.

This brings up another point: I'm not really sure what it'll be that makes the game fun. Not that it has to be just one thing, but it can't be everything and I've already ruled some things out. I've decided that the character customization will be kept simple, but I guess I need to sit down and finish planning things so I don't end up with something overly simple.

I think you should strive for getting variety in more than one way, and not trust your level design to hold the game on its own.

I'm not sure how well I explained it earlier. I was typing on my phone which makes me often be brief. I'd like for each dungeon to have some enemy AI that's unique to the dungeon. In each dungeon there'll be something that makes the player say "oh, I've never seen an enemy do that before!", but I think it's overly optimistic to say that I have enough tricks up my sleeve to pull that off for each dungeon.
This brings up another point: I'm not really sure what it'll be that makes the game fun. Not that it has to be just one thing, but it can't be everything and I've already ruled some things out. I've decided that the character customization will be kept simple, but I guess I need to sit down and finish planning things so I don't end up with something overly simple.

On this, all I have to say is I think the developers of Diablo had no idea what it would be that made it fun, either :).

I'm not sure how well I explained it earlier. I was typing on my phone which makes me often be brief. I'd like for each dungeon to have some enemy AI that's unique to the dungeon. In each dungeon there'll be something that makes the player say "oh, I've never seen an enemy do that before!", but I think it's overly optimistic to say that I have enough tricks up my sleeve to pull that off for each dungeon.

Yeah, this was lost in the brevity. Now that I know what you have in mind, it sounds great.
Ok Forum_Account. I thought i would make a few more tracks to you, so you could have a variaton of soundtracks.
If you are intrested, i could try create sound effects for you. nothing to advanced ofcourse, but it could help in some cases! :)
Tafe wrote:
Ok Forum_Account. I thought i would make a few more tracks to you, so you could have a variaton of soundtracks.
If you are intrested, i could try create sound effects for you. nothing to advanced ofcourse, but it could help in some cases! :)

I won't be around for a few days. So if you post something and I don't respond right away, don't assume it's because you're a failure =)

I don't really have any sound effects yet, so I'll take anything you put together.
That's still saying don't assume you aren't a failure. XD
Page: 1 2