ID:1146356

Keywords: layer
Applies to:Dream Maker

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
Here's a small section of my map:
http://www.ss13.eu/smallmapsection.PNG

Two atmospheric pipes, the disposal pipe, cables, airlocks, windows, grilles... all of them making sure the layer under them cannot be seen. Each of them has a unique layer value defined, so they neatly stack in a proper order. The problem, however, is doing any changes to any piping or cabling. Grilles, airlocks and other equipment cover pipes and cables, resulting in a lot of time being spent right clicking on every single grille, airlock and other equipment piece, to see if it happens to still have a rogue piece of cable or pipe under it.

What I would like to request is a feature for dream maker, which would allow me to define an upper and lower layer value, which would result in only /obj instances with the layer variable between the two numbers being displayed on the map. I believe this feature only needs to exist for atoms of type /obj, as there is generally a maximum of one of the other atom types per tile.

I hope the image explains the problem better than me.
You can handle this using transparent /image datums with the override variable set to 1. Also, take a look at Forum_account's Visibility Groups library. :)
I'm not requesting this for 'ingame'. I'm requesting it for the map editor in dream maker. Override, invisibility, see_invisible and all other in-game ways of making this work do not help me. The only way to make this work would be to go through the entire list of objects you do not want to see, and setting their icon to null - in other words, an even more labor intensive way than right clicking every single obstructive tile in the world.
Something that would allow us to isolate piping and wiring would save so much time and effort. It would make mapping in SS13 significantly easier and less tedious.
This is still needed!

I suggest checkboxes for object visibility. Display checkboxes next to EVERY entry in the object-tree. Allow map makers to pick exactly which items to display.

Here's what it could look like:

Grey eyes for "not visible", black for "visible", black/grey for "mixed" - "mixed" happens when at least one sub-object is visible and another not visible.