ID:114655

Thank you again to all of those who have donated to me.  I've been dedicating the money to keeping me online. The last of it recently came in handy when my computer started making grinding noises.  I appear to have fixed the problem, but it revealed the need for a duster that I plan to use more regularly.  I figure it's cheaper than canned air in the long run and better for the environment...  At least the small space I have to breath in.

Within BYOND

Among other things, Forum_account has been rambling about his platforming MORPG, Tiny Heroes.  Details of the combat and quest systems have been provided.  Progress on that game's AI was presented in video form alongside a minor update for his featured digging platformer, A Miner Adventure.  Meanwhile, developers might be interested in reading his library companion piece How to Optimize a Pixel Movement Enabled Game...  He's been busy. =)

Silk Games have posted two more podcast episodes for their featured MORPG NEStalgia.  Citing the difficulty of communicating with large groups of people, the team wishes to dispel rumors.  As for actual changes, two updates were released with graphical improvements, dye/mask previews, inventory divisions and more.  Players are again advised to use the latest BYOND version and possibly clear their cache.

Yut Put has released a party game called Dojo, a Pong variant called Lob and an undead invasion called Treehouse Zombies.  All the while, he has been "dumping" visual and mechanical details of a class-based RPG called Devotion.  Unfortunately, this game appears to be the result of Fantasie disintegrating.  [Yut Put states that the two projects are not related in the comments below.]

Slic3y has been updating a previously unlisted project from 2010 called Paintball Party.  It's billed as "just Fast paced multi-player Paint balling Action with an aim to be the last man/woman standing". [sic]

Magicsofa has released an 8-level demo for Beryl.  It's a puzzle game where players assume the role of a trapped alien.  Magicsofa has expressed concern over getting the game listed, but I can find no hub entry to submit...  Psst, creating one is free! ;)

Gooseheaded has thrice updated his multiplayer roguelike Deep Dungeon.  Dead players respawn with new characters and the titular dungeon now resets when cleared of monsters.  Icon and interface improvements continue to be added.

Robertbanks2 has twice updated the alpha for his tactical RPG Imperatorum.  Maps have been split with the single-player portion acting as a tutorial.  The HUD has been introduced.  The sprite work is on hold. We could be visited by a bear-wrestling chicken.

Constantly iterating, Acebloke has released another update for his military/economic sim, Wargames.  Wood is consumed by towns, space race progress is displayed and bugs have been fixed.  Subscribers can now choose a third alliance in Cold War mode.  The results of the last Cold War server are linked to in his post.

Magicbeast20 has updated his wave-based zombie shooter, Quarantine.  Bugs were fixed and the interface was improved.  Unfortunately, NPC bait guards have been removed.  However, a faint button in the shop makes me think they'll be back.

While posting a screenshot, Ill Im announced that he is looking for players to help test his tactical RPG Tinsdalia.  While listing content, the reward was upgraded to a lifetime subscription for those who are active.  Final Fantasy-inspired combat and 3+ towns of small, sequential stories are expected to be released within weeks.

Oasiscircle has been adding enemy AI to Delve.  A new video of the action adventure is available.  He's interested in working with an artist to create the larger sprites.  I suggest settling on a palette size first. ;)

Geldonyetich received some good news as he managed to unearth the framework of a procedurally generated space game once thought lost.  Unfortunately, he still has no idea what sort of "experience" he wants to create to find the "fun" and may have to switch to his "writer hat" and and...

People, just frelling ITERATE!  Make A game and stop worrying about THE game you can't pin down.  At the very least, you'll have more development experience under your belt.  What's the threat?  Will you create something so unexpectedly cool that it distracts you from probing the aether some more?  Good! =)

IainPeregrine has posted the official results of Get Something Done 2011.  Entries from Camdev, DarkCampainger, KetchupKid, Ss4gogeta0 and some hack "journalist" were listed.  IainPeregrine's own short story is expected in mid-July.

PopLava's first challenge officially began last week with the constraint that hexagons must be part of the core gameplay.  This corresponded with a free hex-based map example offered through Resource Center.  However, some expected the theme to have less to do with implementation.  PopLava is holding a poll to determine whether the constraint should change.  Projects already working with hexagons will remain valid.  Resource Center credits and $100 are on the line.

UPDATE: The challenge has been rephrased and reposted with more prizes.

I updated my combative scavenger hunt/motivation tool, MeanderGall.  AI projectiles no longer do graze damage and diagonal movement buttons have been tweaked.  The GSD 2011 results stated that combat felt frustrating and impossible to control.  Feel free to describe how in my forum. =)

I've also been researching puzzles in the hopes of finding some to procedurally generate.  Jaap's Puzzle Page has been particularly helpful.  I don't know how far I'll get into determining difficulty, but I think I'll have something good enough for short segments of action adventure games.

Beyond BYOND

• The results of May's Experimental Gameplay Project have been posted.  The theme was "ZOOM".  June's theme is "MASHUP"...  My apologies for not linking to these in the last column.
  • Back to puzzles, Dev.Mag has concluded its How Are Puzzle Games Designed series.  Interviews were held with Dave Hall (Q.U.B.E.), Rob Jagnow (Cogs), Ted Lauterbach (suteF). Teddy Lee (My First Quantum Translocator) and Guy Lima (Continuity).
  • It's about communication.  Chris Crawford thinks it's easier for artists to learn how to program than for programmers to have a heart, Richard Fine believes it's easier for programmers to present tools in design language than for designers to understand implementations and Ernest Adams just wants a decent tutorial.
  • Scott Nicholson made good on his auction with the release of a new boardgame video.  Proceeds went to the loving memory of Jack Vasel, son of The Dice Tower's Tom Vasel.
  • There's still a couple days left to purchase The Indie-Games Summer Six Pack with Aztaka, Bob Came In Pieces, City Rain, Puzzlegeddon, Vizati and Lylian Paranoid Friendship...  Apparently, we have as long as the Earth exists to purchase Pixeljam's Mega Bundle with Dino Run SE and Space Rubbish.
  • Frelling fleshies.  I cease avenging my defeat on Facebook and then this happens.  Do poor running gags mean nothing to people anymore?

Don't settle for a brief mention of activity.  Get games featured!  (Want to review?)

I Promise my team will be featured in this soon, when is the next BYOND and Within supose to be posted?
lol "frelling" Someones a Farscape fan! =D
@ACWraith: I believe I'll be sticking with the four color greyscale GBA style.
Akriloth wrote:
when is the next BYOND and Within supose to be posted?

There is a new one every two weeks.
man i need to try harder on sweet hex and hella gon vs octogons and byond comics if i want to get into the byond and within #16
AC, how about getting up an inside scoop on the flash client? Bug Lummox until he spills the beans!
There is also roughly 12 hours left to purchase Left 4 Dead 2 on Steam for just under $7. Quite the bargain for anyone that wants the game and wants to save money. As well, Indie Variety Pack, and Indie Action Pack are both $10 each. So if you're into indie games, check those out and spend $20 instead of $100 on the bundles.
Is the DLC for L4D2 free?
SuperAntx wrote:
Is the DLC for L4D2 free?

'course
I'm late to the table, but MiniLD #27 is being held this weekend. The theme is "ALL TALK - conversation trees and dialogue choices." All entries will be required to state the secret phrase announced on Friday at 4PM PST.
Here's another event I lost track of: Nominations for the Game Developers Choice Online Awards end on Thursday!