ID:114661

Though it may seem that I have some understanding of how to draw retro graphics, I really don't. I have never had any training whatsoever, I just began drawing things and over time it started to look better.

I decided that I want to keep the retro style, but I want it a little more detailed than before, with probably a black outline like TPRoC's graphics ( specifically Reia Maps ).

My question is how do you manage colors? When making Gnomeheim, I didn't choose a firm set of colors. I was all over the place with different shades ( I.E. I think I used 4 different shades of green ). Is there also a certain limit to how many colors I should be choosing from?

I want the best advice for consistency. Also, my sprites are all 20x20 so I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks.
My programmer art generally involves picking three values and then using them for all permutations of RGB. (In MeanderGall, I also adjusted the luminosity to be equal.)
You can't go wrong with the "Web Safe" colors. These 216 uniformly distributed colors conveniently form the majority of the default palette in the DM icon editor.
First, I'd like to say I fail as an artist. However, the avatar you're using on this page looks like a decent start. Work on shading, and you should be fine.

Hang in there and work at it. You seem intelligent and competent enough to handle the task.
Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday. I had a migraine and anyone who has ever experienced one knows how that goes. Pretty much puts an end to my entire day.

But thanks for the responses.

@Yut: That's sort of what I'm aiming for. I don't want it too detailed, but I also don't want it as bland as the Gnomeheim graphics.

@Iain: Ok I'll try to stick to the defaults then ( most of the Gnomeheim colors weren't default ).