ID:115111

Applies to:DM Language

Issue hasn't been assigned a status value.
I know there was a mention of 3D somewhere and even an earlier prototype of such a feature.

However, I would like to make a proposal of built-in raycasting capabilties that can bring BYOND gaming closer to Wolfenstein 3D/Doom gaming. This does not require 3D modeling of any form and infact can be utilized with the current DMI format.

Not only that, but also can be made compatible with the current mapping system. Allows for very convenient level editing for FPS-like games or even RPGs that utilize raycasting. While I know raytracing will require more processing power or more powerful GPUs to handle as well as more RAM.

That is why I mentioned Raycasting (not Raytracing), which several have done in the past. One thing to note of course is it will require a special mode (similar to the mentioned 3D mode found apparently in a future release) to work properly. I understand if this will not implemented at this time as other features need to be worked on first. Plus, bugs need to stamped out.

This is a proposal and anyone who is available for comment can extend upon the feature request or just feedback on the whole idea of Native Raycasting.
Definitely voting for this one. I wouldn't miss the chance to work on some games using FP perspective.

I'm sure that with high-quality textures, a decent game could be made.

Even if it wasn't fully compatible with multiplayer mode, I'd fiddle around with it endlessly.
Thanks. Just thought I would make a request for a future feature.

Should definitely work with BYOND's map system no problem.
There was never any kind of early 3D prototype except for games that users developed, like Gakumerasara's Vengeance 56. The icon system basically limits the speed and potential of that.

While this would be interesting to see built-in, there are a couple of problems with it. First and most obvious, you'd need a way to tell which things should use "wall" icons and which should use free-standing icons. (Texturing the floor and ceiling would also be something to consider.) You'd also need to show the freestanding icons from different angles; currently the icon system has no suppport for that. Then, you have the fact that pixel movement would have to be built in, which is actually a trickier subject all on its own. Finally, the result of this could only ever achieve a Wolfenstein level of sophistication because of the tile system. Doom, while still not true 3D, pushed the envelope at the time with free-angled walls, variable height of regions, and BSP trees.

Frankly I think anyone who's angling for 3D would be unimpressed by the result, and this still increases the difficulty of making your own game because of the need to model characters from different angles.
Lummox JR wrote:
There was never any kind of early 3D prototype except for games that users developed, like Gakumerasara's Vengeance 56. The icon system basically limits the speed and potential of that.

While this would be interesting to see built-in, there are a couple of problems with it. First and most obvious, you'd need a way to tell which things should use "wall" icons and which should use free-standing icons. (Texturing the floor and ceiling would also be something to consider.) You'd also need to show the freestanding icons from different angles; currently the icon system has no suppport for that. Then, you have the fact that pixel movement would have to be built in, which is actually a trickier subject all on its own. Finally, the result of this could only ever achieve a Wolfenstein level of sophistication because of the tile system. Doom, while still not true 3D, pushed the envelope at the time with free-angled walls, variable height of regions, and BSP trees.

Frankly I think anyone who's angling for 3D would be unimpressed by the result, and this still increases the difficulty of making your own game because of the need to model characters from different angles.

I agree with you about dealing with character modeling. Even drawing them is tricky (as found in Doom or even in Wolfenstein 3D). Heck, I still need to learn how to draw like that.

One thing I forgot about was a special variable that deals with rotation when viewing objects in first person perspective. Either that, a tweaked version of the direction variable.
In response to Lummox JR
His latest build allows you to add really complex icons