I was going to start by confessing that I didn't get any game development done this week. I've been trying to decrease my pile of unplayed Steam games and writing recommendations on those I've completed to feign usefulness.
Then I noticed a giant sale starting. Believe it or not, my first urge wasn't to state the multiple opportunities to gift me for lifetime Fooldom Come subscriptions... Though they can be had for cheap! ;)
Instead, I'd like to point out that Inventive Dingo's Mayhem Intergalactic is available for 75% off. Those of you who have been on BYOND a while may know the developer as Crispy and the game as Yet Another Generic Space-Age Conquest Game. It was a BYOND favorite and its spiritual successor was a 2008 Independent Games Festival Games: Student Showcase winner. Go get it on Steam or give Crispy his full share on his own site.
- The 5 for $5 Bundle offers the indie games Delve Deeper, Digitanks, Mactabilis, Spring Up Harmony, Star-Twine and Steel Storm: Burning Retribution. Their own file servers might not be up long, but Delve Deeper includes a Steam code and the rest are available on Desura. Note that the recently added sixth game, Star-Twine, might not show up as subscribed on Desura yet, but the team is in negotiations to get it done. Previous customers without a direct download link to hold them over can email support[at]lunarworkshop.com.
- Too many indie games for you? How about just one? Pay what you want for the abstract racing game Proun.
- Early bird registration for PAX Dev ends this week. The event itself takes place on August 24th and 25th at the Sheraton Seattle Hotel in Seattle, WA. "With no press access and space for only 750, developers can speak freely and focus entirely on their trade."
- Game Play 2011 runs from July 7th to July 31st at The Brick Theater in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. The festival merges technology, theater, performance art and video game culture.
- The Labyrinth of Jareth Masquerade Ball will be held on July 1st and 2nd at The Historic Park Plaza in Los Angeles, CA. Honestly, I don't remember if there's a video game connection. I just find it strange that, despite the promise of women in cosplay, what the name fuels is my continued desire for a decent Ludo plushie. ;)
- Gamebit Game Lab has been providing a rare amount of transparency with their research. Check out their YouTube channel for lectures on a variety of topics.
- Prefer your education with less formal instruction? GET LAMP: The Text Adventure Documentary is available on YouTube. So is the chip music documentary Reformat The Planet.
- The cult favorite Retro Game Master can now be found streaming on Kotaku. You may also know it GameCenter CX. I now know it as that curious decision to start with a 4th season episode of a 15-season show when there are already fansubs.
- Get well wishes go to Extra Credits artist Allison Theus who recently discovered that she requires major shoulder surgery if she is to continue her work. I was going to pretend my little column could help the donation drive, but it's currently over three times what was asked! =)
- 7-2. Prepare for the next battle with a free ECA membership sponsored by Red Bull.
Here's another documentary, but this one was created as a student project. And it's short. ;)