ID:1156386

Resolved
The pager window could open prematurely in some cases, which confused the popup alert bubbles and delayed their delivery.
BYOND Version:498.1170
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Firefox 18.0
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When the pager option "Login to games as guest if pager is not running" is disabled, while the BYOND pager is not running, starting a game from Dream maker, if the hub information is marked as "Out of date"(I think.), the normal "Live games" and "Friends online" bubbles won't appear until connecting to a live game, where it will display all popup bubbles that were received during the time the pager was logged into, till connecting to an online game.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Ensure that the "Login to games as guest if pager is not running" option is disabled.
2) Completely close the BYOND pager and wait until the hub data has been marked as "Old" (10-15 minute wait. This appears to be expedited by restarting your computer.)
3) Open Dream Maker and load a project. The BYOND pager should not be running.
4) Compile and run the project.
5) The options and messages box should appear and say something along the lines of "The BYOND pager could not be reached on port XXXX... Connected". Notice that the BYOND pager should start up slightly after the options and messages box appears.
6) Login to the BYOND pager when the prompt appears.
7) Notice that the normal popup bubbles do not appear on login.
8) Optional: Wait for some period of time to allow users on your friends list to login.
9) Attempt to connect to an online game, after successfully connecting, notice that all popup bubble messages that were received appear one after another.

Expected Results: For the popup bubbles to appear when they are intended to, and not display all at once.

Actual Results: The popup bubbles do not display when they are suppose to, until connecting to an online game, following this, popup bubbles appear as expected.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Every time.
In other games? N/a.
In other user accounts? Untested.
On other computers? Untested.

When does the problem NOT occur? The problem does not occur when using the "Login as guest when the pager is not running" setting. This also does not occur if the hub information doesn't need to be reloaded on pager start-up. [Updated]:The problem also does not occur if the "Automatically login when program starts" setting is selected.

I forgot to mention this, but I made a change that should have been in 1169 that likely would have impacted this behavior. It would help if you retest. I found the problem too difficult to reproduce, but that comes partly from the long wait times and also partly from the required level of friend activity, which doesn't coincide well with my testing times. Please let me know if this recurs in newer versions or if it's been dealt with.
This still occurs in the latest version (198.1170), and I'm pretty sure that it occurred in 198.1169 as well. I've updated the report.
Do you have any easier way to reproduce this?
Theses steps appear to produce the same issue, and should be easier to follow:

1) Ensure that the "Login to games as guest if pager is not running" option is disabled.
2) Completely exit out of the pager. This way seems to not require any waiting(for what I had assumed to be data being marked as old).
3) Open Dream Daemon (Not from the pager, which shouldn't be running currently).
4) Dreamdaemon should output something along the lines of "Logging in....BYOND pager cannot be contacted on port 2132..connected". The BYOND pager should launch and prompt you to login.
5) Login to the BYOND pager and notice that the normal "Live games" and "Live friends" bubbles are not displayed.
6) Optional: Wait for some period of time for friends to login/games to become live, etc.
7) Click on any link in the BYOND pager that opens the default browser (Clicking on the ads don't seem to cause this as they launch IE), or connect to any live game.
8) Notice that all bubble messages that were received are displayed one after another.
I'm still not seeing this. Are you opening DD with a game or just opening it and leaving it? After login, the bubbles appeared just fine.
I'm opening Dream daemon from the BYOND/bin folder that contains the .exe file for dream daemon in step number 3. A game doesn't need to be being hosted for this to occur.
That's how I opened DD as well, only this didn't happen for me.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The pager window could open prematurely in some cases, which confused the popup alert bubbles and delayed their delivery.