Making an attempt to follow review guidelines, Yusuke13 has been telling me that Gears & Peers should be featured. It's a game with simultaneous turns where players crash opposing robots, collect their gears and run away. I'd just assume let Yusuke13's review stand as more participation in the process is something I've been hoping for.
I believe Gears & Peers meets the standards. It was developed with most of them in mind. However, I know this because it's my creation. As I run featured games, I figured I'd let people vent. More of my work can be criticized in the Submissions forum.
- Bill S. 978 has been introduced before the United States Senate with broad language which, among other things, could put people who stream gameplay in prison for up to five years. The Entertainment Consumers Association is urging citizens to take action now as part of their Gamers for Digital Rights advocacy. Those who type in their zip codes can use the site to write editable form letters to their congressmen.
- Submissions are open to the 14th Annual Independent Games Festival. IGF Chairman Brandon Boyer has explained the changes. The final deadlines (depending on the competition) are in October.
- Submissions are also open for the Indie Games Arcade at Eurogamer Expo 2011. The deadline is August 19th.
- Submissions for the Fantastic Arcade at Fantastic Fest 2011 are due by August 1st.
- The theme for July's Experimental Gameplay Project is "disintegrate". Apologies for the timing as I'm posting this two weeks in. On the bright side, you're only supposed to work on an entry for seven days.
- Super Friendship Club is a new forum where developers can discuss their work and get feedback. Pageants will be held. The first has the theme "justice" and ends on August 1st.
- GDC Vault has opened an invitation-only beta for individual subscribers. On the free side, you may wish to try new video releases such as Minimalist Game Design: Growing Osmos and Turning Depression into Inspiration.
- Game Developer has released the 2011 issue of their Career Guide for free.
- Marketing link dump!
- Wadjet Eye at New York GameDev: Your game sucks! (and how to respond)
- Ryan Creighton: Flew The Coop: Playing Chicken With Indie Marketing
- Peter Kjaer: Getting Press For Your Game
- Anime News Network: How To Format a Press Release
- Alan Youngblood: Marketing 101 Part 1 and Part 2
- Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez: 5 For 5 Bundle Postmortem
- I don't care if their hidden agenda is to sell Mommy's Best Games. I'm on board with the 2D focus of 8 Bit Horse and hope to see more of the Oddities in 2D series. =)
This is a more baldfaced ad. But it's got a frelling Muppet!