ID:1167816

BYOND Version:498
Operating System:Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Web Browser:Chrome 24.0.1312.57
Applies to:DM Language

Thus far we've been unable to verify or reproduce this bug. Or, it has been observed but it cannot be triggered with a reliable test case. You can help us out by editing your report or adding a comment with more information.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When loading dream maker, after all of my BYOND stuff seemingly reset(I log into BYOND, and all the old pre-sets are back to default), when I open dream maker and try to open my .dm file I was working on the night before, and saved, it shows a blank file with nothing in it. For some reason I decided it would be a good idea to compile and it responded with ASCII errors, from line 1 in the code.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem: When the BYOND program decides to randomly reset to default, open dream maker and the first file opened is full of ASCII errors.

Code Snippet (if applicable) to Reproduce Problem:N/A

Expected Results:
File to open normally.
Actual Results:

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Presumably every reset of the program's settings.
In other games? This has happened once before on another project, to it's .dmm file.
In other user accounts? Yes, every account use opens it the same way.
On other computers? Yes, every other computer used opens it the same way.

When does the problem NOT occur? When byond is running normally and has not reset.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? All versions from the current and back open the file the same way, each displaying an ASCII error.(Visit http://www.byond.com/download/build to download old versions for testing.)

Workarounds: N/A
Well, first of all, you gave us the Tournament System.dm, not the Turf one.
In response to MasterSpectra
MasterSpectra wrote:
Well, first of all, you gave us the Tournament System.dm, not the Turf one.

Well..I deleted the file after I uploaded that, so..hm.
Did you use 'Open Environment' on a DM File instead of a DME? that is the usual source of corruption.
No, I opened the .dme like normal.
Hey, I've experience this same issue yesterday.

Have you come across a solution yet?
In response to Baltraven
Baltraven wrote:
Hey, I've experience this same issue yesterday.

Have you come across a solution yet?

No, I was just lucky I had saved a backup of my project and redid 200+ lines of coding I hadn't saved before. I've no idea how to fix this, though I did try using Notepad/opening as a text file, and with word(Though I couldn't since I needed my Word CDROM to download a converter).
I'd imagine there would be a way because if the file really is corrupt, how can the executable be run as it would expected to?

Maybe my logic is invalid, but I really hope I don't have to write all my code again. Dunno why it chose my longest page of code to corrupt xD

Balt
The game still runs, because compilation failed, and did not override the DMB.

Your code is lost forever, unfortunetly. You're gonna have to rewrite or find a backup. Things happen.

It generally isn't a good idea to have long code files, it's better to split them up in some kind of logical way and back them up.
Yep, I've already started rewriting.

Thanks all for the help though.

Balt
Tom changed status to 'Unverified'
NECRO bugpost. I have just experienced this old bug as well. The DM compiler was running and I had a dm code file opened. The DM compiler crashed during compile when I reopened DM and opened the .dm file I received the same errors as listed by Ernesto as well my file was almost empty of code with just around 10 lines at the beginning of the file the rest of the file was filled with empty space.
In response to Godsring
Are you certain this isn't a disk problem? The loading and compiling processes really shouldn't be erasing anything.
I just had this same thing happen about an hour ago. I had a crash when compiling and when I reopened, I had 44 lines of code left and a ton of unexpected char ascii(0) errors. Never happened to me before and the project only had about 100 lines in it anyway so I wasn't even going to mention it until I saw this post.
I recently had the bans.txt on my local computer get filled with a bunch of nulls.