ID:116829

So, I was asking myself as well as everyone else in the group about how to make melee combat more "intense". I'm not really too sure on how to do this, but I came up with some possible "combat aids" but I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say.

Maybe make blows more fatal? More realism? What would do you think?
replace the combat with dance dance revelution and show a fight between your charaters in the backround
Laserdog wrote:
replace the combat with dance dance revelution and show a fight between your charaters in the backround

I hope you mean "action sequences" like in Legendary Super Warriors or Budokai 2&3.
I think just having extremely fluid animations helps with combat. Stiff, robotic character animations put people to sleep.

I also like combat that requires skill as opposed to stat points. A person should win a battle because they had faster reflexes and a decent strategy rather than just because they're 10 levels higher than you. In the game I recently started playing, HoN, victories are much more satisfying and rewarding when you know your player was equal to you in terms of level and stats. When you're winning just because your opponent was under-leveled in comparison to you, it sort of takes some of the "I totally just owned that guy" out of the game if you know what I mean.

It's one of the things that made Proelium so fun back in the day. It wasn't about who spent the most time grinding, but about who understood their character's strengths and weaknesses and knew how to use them to their advantage. The only problem is that it's hard to make an RPG without some sort of progression. Your only choice would probably be to not make it an RPG, but just an action game like Rumble Fighter where players join different rooms via a lobby, fight other people and gain points they can spend on unlocking new characters and items. Which might not be a bad idea considering the fact that there aren't any games like that on BYOND.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
I think just having extremely fluid animations helps with combat. Stiff, robotic character animations put people to sleep.

Definitely, combat animations are going to be on par with how I want the fighting to be, and if they're not, that's what these tests will be for and they'll be improved upon.

I also like combat that requires skill as opposed to stat points. A person should win a battle because they had faster reflexes and a decent strategy rather than just because they're 10 levels higher than you. In the game I recently started playing, HoN, victories are much more satisfying and rewarding when you know your player was equal to you in terms of level and stats. When you're winning just because your opponent was under-leveled in comparison to you, it sort of takes some of "I totally just owned that guy" out of the game if you know what I mean.

It's one of the things that made Proelium so fun back in the day. It wasn't about who spent the most time grinding, but about who understood their character's strengths and weaknesses and knew how to use them to their advantage. The only problem is that it's hard to make an RPG without some sort of progression. Your only choice would probably be to not make it an RPG, but just an action game like Rumble Fighter where players join different rooms via a lobby, fight other people and gain points they can spend on unlocking new characters and items. Which might not be a bad idea considering the fact that there aren't any games like that on BYOND.

I don't want it completely stat-less but I do understand what you're saying. I'm thinking I might completely strip people's ability to "apply stat points" and just make it strictly battle experience or quite possibly add in some sort of "log training" but give it training experience up to a certain point or make it a skill you learn (I.E Iron Fists: +5 to punching damage). Might even suggest that hiding lower level players might be a good idea as well.