ID:1168622

(See the best response by Jemai1.)
Code:

Problem description:What is computer id, other than the same number that you are given when you use a guest key? How is it determined, remembered, stored, ect.? Is it local to BYOND, or is it built into the operating system?

Best response
Basically what the reference says. It is a unique id given to a machine where you run byond.
I had already read the reference, but I was trying to understand how it works. I couldn't find the number in any files on my computer, which makes me wonder how it gets the same number everytime I turn on the computer if its not saved in any files.
It's calculated based on the PC BYOND is on. Why do you need to work out how it functions? Is there something wrong with it?
How it is generated is not documented. Why would you need/want to know anyways?
I was going to use the computer id to only allow certain computers to have access to files for loading and saving things like icons and maps. It seems alot safer than doing it by key, or even the old if is_host method, which would be useless for giving access to remote computers.
Well, you'd probably then want to build a little DMB that will show the user their computer ID (or print it out to a log-file, if it's on Linux), then get them to give you that to use.