ID:116877

Resolved
The calculation for network delay was too aggressive, while not dropping network delay back down quickly enough after conditions improved.
BYOND Version:489
Operating System:Windows XP Pro
Web Browser:Firefox 6.0
Applies to:Dream Seeker

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary:
When I host my game Tanx with Dream Daemon there is a huge amount of visual lag. The lag is entirely visual as the game still operates at normal speed in the background, but the draw rate of the map is incredibly slow. I cannot tell why this happens. When running the game in dreamseeker it works fine, when hosting with DS it works fine for the host. Anyone who joins the server experiences the lag.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
Start the game with Dream Daemon and join.

Expected Results:
Normal visual updates and movement

Actual Results:
The visuals lag greatly, the game itself runs fine

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often?
Always, however occasionally it slowly goes away and the draw updates increase to normal
In other games?
not that I've seen, perhaps in other games that use low tick_lag
In other user accounts?
Yes.
On other computers?
Yes.

When does the problem NOT occur?
When you start the game locally. If you run the .dmb yourself there is no issue. Only people who join experience this problem, the host is unaffected (if started in DS).

Workarounds:
None so far.

The only thing I can imagine it being is that DS and DD do not do so well with map updates, especially at 40fps.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/25108410/Tanx_TEST.zip

You can use that test version of Tanx to test it yourself. Start the game in DS to see how it works normally. Afterward, start it in DD and then join, the visual lag is there, however the game still runs fine in the background.
I experience this. I think it could very well be a bug, since there really shouldn't be very much lag between windows on the same computer.
The game starts out slow for me but then speeds up. I'm curious to find out what the bottleneck is.
For the host it seems to speed up after getting past whatever the bottleneck is, as for anyone connecting over the net, the speed up to normal is almost unseen. It takes about 10 minutes before it returns to normal for them.

It probably has to do with the high FPS, and I'm sorry if this issue turns out to be a pain. -__-
Based on what I saw in the demo, a delay in startup at both ends is causing network delay to jump through the roof. The network delay jumps up quickly and decays slowly, so improving on the algorithm for this fixed the issue.
Ah, so that was the problem. Thanks for the hard work, it's much appreciated. =)
As a workaround for now, you could include a simple macro for .configure delay 0 (which newer clients can handle).