ID:1168902

Hello fellow BYONDers,

Earlier today i was coding on Dream Maker, and as I was expecting a power outage, I saved my code and left the computer, and as expected the power went out shortly after.

When the power came back, I started up the computer and opened my Environment that I was working on before the outage. The problem is that a whole page of code is now blank.

I can do several things:

1. Compile, and get 2320 errors that say unexpected character (ascii 0)

2. Run, get told one or more project files is newer than the executable. If I reply with, yes compile now, i get the errors. If I reply with no, the game is still run just as expected.

Is there any way I can recover the page of code that I 'lost'?

Thanks for the help, in advance

Balt
Hi there Baltraven.

Someone reported this yesterday, though it appears no solution has surfaced yet.

Could you upload the file in question so we could have a look at it?
You want me to upload the .dm file that is broken?

Or the whole thing?

Also, how do I upload a file? xD

Sorry, and thank you,

Balt
In response to Baltraven
Just the broken file. You can upload it using a service like FileSmelt or SendSpace.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/Code_Page_1.dm

LMK if that link doesn't work.
In Dream Maker, I noticed a file named Thumbs.db showed up when I open my environment.

What is this file?

Thumbs.db is a file Windows uses to cache file thumbnails. It's normal.
The code file you uploaded is blank, just 3kb of zeros. Unfortunately, it's not recoverable from our end. You can still run the game because the compiled DMB still exists, but there's no practical way to get the code back.

This is why backups are so important. I'll admit, I'm guilty of not backing up often enough (once a month if I'm lucky), but it's just something you have to work into your schedule if you want to avoid things like this.

Also, if you're expecting a power outage, I would usually suggest powering down and unplugging your machine in case it's accompanied by a surge or brownout.
This happens to me when I do not remove my flash drive with out the safety remove; the file gets corrupted is all. It drives me nuts when it happens, but sometimes if I transfer the file to my desktop and back into the drive it fixes itself. But I ALWAYS have backups for things I work on.

~Ripper man5