ID:117038

Not Feasible
Applies to:Dream Maker, DM Language

Implementing this feature is not possible now or in the foreseeable future
So...why don't we already have support for native side-scrolling? You know, gravity, like being forced to move south, or jumping, people could use Move() to limit this or change it, etc etc.

Not really much to say in this, since we all know what it is. Seems simple to add, and seems like a good feature to go with the planned big atom & pixel movement shiz.
Even with native pixel movement, it would never make sense to make native side-scrolling. Users can and should handle the physics of this themselves. It isn't hard and can be done with a library with ease.
In response to Lummox JR
Lummox JR wrote:
Even with native pixel movement, it would never make sense to make native side-scrolling. Users can and should handle the physics of this themselves. It isn't hard and can be done with a library with ease.

It isn't hard, but I'm guessing/assuming that if it were to be built-in it would be more efficient/faster than doing it ourselves?

With the way I have mine set up Movement() is called pretty fast.

Below I was profiling it using 500 NPCs - for about 10 minutes, I've done what I can to optimize it and it runs fine for now - just trying to see if it was built-in if it would be more efficient.

The averages are all 0.000%

In response to Kozuma3
Kozuma3 wrote:
It isn't hard, but I'm guessing/assuming that if it were to be built-in it would be more efficient/faster than doing it ourselves?

The rules that govern any side-scroller vary from game to game. It's therefore impossible to build a one-size-fits-all solution. For a one-size-fits-most solution, there would be so many possible vars and exceptions that any built-in efficiency would be completely swallowed up.