ID:117091

This column nudges the post out of pager news, but suite developer Lummox JR has announced that BYOND will soon include native collision detection of atoms larger than a tile. Initially, it will be limited to the grid as usual. However, developers should eventually have access to native pixel movement.  For now, try libraries such as Forum_account's recently updated offering.

Within BYOND

Celebrating the 10th anniversary of their first release, Silk Games have consolidated the information for their current project under a new blog. Players of the retro MORPG NEStalgia could be seeing AI companions, a gamepad mode and more soon... ish.  For now, check out part one of their new skill trees preview.

DivineTraveller released a puzzle game called Colorator: Return of the Coloration.  Players are tasked with making every tile the same color within a limited number of moves.  The only action available is to change the color of collected tiles.  Starting with a lone tile, neighboring tiles can be gathered by matching their color.

Kyle_ZX released and twice updated a "co-op harvesting and creation game" called Deltoid.  Players collect objects while digging through regenerating walls.  I'm not sure I fully understand the game yet, but the graphics make me feel like I'm driving a futuristic lawnmower.  Check it out.

Dpheonix7 released a demo for his revamped MORPG War of the Magi.  There were are a few quests and a lot of old school random battles to get a feel for it when I played.  More content and classes have since been added.

Despite theoretically working on four projects at once, Bravo1 has been consistently updating his vehicular shooter Tanx.  There are new parts, maps, and music.  The interface, AI and balance have been improved.  It still feels fun to play so go shoot something virtual.

Squeegy's multiplayer god-worshiping action/RTS hybrid Faith has again been updated.  A variety of bugs were fixed.  The gameplay improvements focus on making Hell more punishing with a greater number of wolves, more damaging weather and slower health regeneration.

The Journalism guild returns with a new podcast hosted by Oasiscircle and Akto. EnigmaticGallivanter states that we can expect a "hopefully" dedicated schedule with the team's new lineup sometime in September.  An event involving Shadowdarke's Tanks was held.  Listen to the podcast for the future gatherings.

Get well wishes go to Akto due to kidney stones.

After taking on the default gender expectations of low resolution graphics, Alexandra Erin released a series of posts regarding her upcoming MORPG RetroQuest.  Read on for details of the character progression, the companions and how she is dealing with her self-imposed graphical limitations.

While boasting art for over 500 enemies, Fantasie Productions have decided to reprogram their titular MORPG from scratch.  They expect to have a version released by late December with closed testing sessions hosted along the way.  Pictured is the launcher.

Tayoko and Vermolius are teaming up again.  Their next project is an isometric tactical fighter with many layers of customization.  It's welcome news, yet I must admit that what really brought me glee was their resumed work on the competitive tower defense game Efencea.  Yeeeesss!

Makeii has posted a screenshot and a variety of simplifications to help him finish his action RPG Magus Aora - Edreoll.  The map interface and character progression have changed.  The quests of the game have been outlined and include new game plus features.

Jittai has been developing an untitled rogue-like with an infinitely large dungeon intended to let players compete for high scores.  Progress appears to be going well with multiple screenshots and inventory identification.

NefariousDevelopment is creating an isometric MORPG called Prism.  Artists are welcome.  An emphasis is being placed on reducing penalties for weak character builds.  Instead of grinding new characters, players will choose a soul color which will allow them to blend and switch class talents between multiple guilds during play.

Kumorii has resumed work on a game called Zombies!, but redesigned it into a survival shooter with arcade elements.  Thus far there's only one map and weapon, but more are on the way along with customizable characters.

Opening for business, the Simple Developments Guild has held their first contest.  Entrants had to quickly develop a competitive multiplayer game.  The winner from a pool of three was Heyya46's game of unskilled victory, Luck.  The guild's mission statement can be found here.

PopLava Challenge #1.5 ends on Sunday.  Developers can win up to $150 in addition to Resource Center credits by creating a multiplayer game.  Submit a functional .dmb early to avoid problems with entry acknowledgement.

I updated my robot-crashing, gear collecting game Gears & Peers.  It's mostly small interface improvements with a rewritten help file in response to player feedback.  I figure if my work is going to be featured then I might as well be even more anal about that stuff. ;)

I'm not sure how much else I've accomplished.  I've been doing a lot of PCG research.  I think I'm on the cusp of a decent biome system, but my plot generation has not progressed.

Beyond BYOND

• Developers still interested in GDC Europe will have to register on site in Cologne.  The event will be held August 15th-17th with registration available the day before.
  • The results of July's Experimental Gameplay Project with the theme "disintegrate" are now available.  The theme for August is "offspring".
  • Board game print-on-demand site The Game Crafter is now hosting design contests where store credits can be won.  The first requires the use of one or more vehicle pieces.  The deadline is October 1st.  I tend to favor creating prototypes with BYOND to make multiplayer testing easier.
  • Touched by the outpouring of support in the wake of his son's death, Tom Vasel has announced the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund intended to help members of the game community who have suffered hardship.
  • Thanks to a Kickstarter project, Mike Gnade has relaunched the indie game news site GameTunnel while storing Russell Carroll's original version for posterity.  With June's return of Insert Credit, I'm wary of a time rift.
  • After more than 2 years of work, PixelProspector is proud to present Indie Resources.  Along with development tools, there's business, marketing and more.  Take advantage of what's there.
  • Perhaps it's mean, but did anyone else view clips from EVO 2011 just to see Daigo go down?

According to their Facebook page, game industry critics Extra Credits have not been paid by The Escapist.  The situation escalated when the online magazine asked for a large take of the overly successful donation drive started when artist Allison Theus required medical care.  Changing their last letter to a 'z' in a questionable response to the IP dispute, the critics have moved back to YouTube.  I'm not sure why they didn't use their old channel, but I'm glad I can post their videos on BYOND again.

Don't settle for a brief mention of activity.  Get games featured!  (Want to review?)

:D AWESOME read. So many good games are coming out and so little time to play them all XD
Of course War of the Magi has gotten even more revamps and was going through a major one as this was posted. I like seeing how we are getting a lot more original games coming up.
Hm, yeah!
It's awesome.
I wonder if he features non-member's games.
I suppose he has no reason not to.
A note on BYONDcast, it's going to be a weekly thing, but there might not be an episode this Saturday either because I have fallen ill and I am unable to speak without pain and/or coughing.
So, don't expect one until next week when I've hopefully recovered.
Oasiscircle wrote:
A note on BYONDcast, it's going to be a weekly thing, but there might not be an episode this Saturday either because I have fallen ill and I am unable to speak without pain and/or coughing.
So, don't expect one until next week when I've hopefully recovered.

That's too bad! I like your voice, by the way. You sound like a story teller.
Ah, so that's where my Extra Credits videos went.

Also, although I only read the first 95 comments, I think Lummox/Tom decided to push back the new collision feature release, and just hold out until the full pixel-movement is implemented. I would imagine they don't want to overlook something and have to retcon the system's design to fit it in later. Can anyone else confirm that? I might be mis-remembering.
Good to know there's actually projects with ambition these days.
Ludum Dare 21 begins in roughly 4 days. There's a couple rounds of voting for the theme left.
Just wanted to Announce that I have just Uploaded a Newer version of Biohaze... its still not fully completed but it should be better than the last version ive uploaded... not to mention ive updated some of the gameplay
Link: http://www.byond.com/games/Ss4gogeta0/Biohaze