ID:117288

Just making an entry here so anyone looking on the internet for this will find it. It was on Rosetta Stone.

In Japanese daininguruumu means "dining room".

It's one of the funny words that sounds like its English equivalent, even if it doesn't match it perfectly for phonetic reasons. Other words I like that are like this one are wanpisu for dress (which sounds like "one piece" or "one piece suit") or wanru-mumanshon for studio apartment (which sounds like one room mansion).
i was thinking about torrenting rosetta stone so i could learn some languages n stuff
Uh, it sounds like English because it is English. Japanese uses katakana for loanwords like that (I'm guessing it appeared in romaji in Rosetta Stone). One of the reasons you shouldn't use Rosetta stone is it doesn't teach you shit like that =P. It's very ineffective in general, and especially so for Japanese, I'd imagine.
Random words off the top of my head:
http://pastebin.com/D762rJhx
Only thing I know how to say is "Mother" which sounds like "kasa". And thats only because I watched FF Advent Children and every time they said "Kasa", the word "Mother" was in the subtitles.
i have Rosetta stone funny enough I started the japanese lessons like 4 days ago.
EmpirezTeam wrote:
Only thing I know how to say is "Mother" which sounds like "kasa". And thats only because I watched FF Advent Children and every time they said "Kasa", the word "Mother" was in the subtitles.

It's okaasan.

kasa is a type of hat.
Toadfish wrote:
Uh, it sounds like English because it is English. Japanese uses katakana for loanwords like that (I'm guessing it appeared in romaji in Rosetta Stone). One of the reasons you shouldn't use Rosetta stone is it doesn't teach you shit like that =P. It's very ineffective in general, and especially so for Japanese, I'd imagine.

I agree completely!
Also, they don't just have loan words from English. I believe they have some other languages. Like 'te vas' and 'pan' (Spanish words). Pan definitely means bread, and I'm sure I've heard 'te vas' before.

Yeah, and if you're learning Japanese, learn to read and write in japanese! Don't learn romaji (romanized japanese) first!
Speaking of mothers:

mazaa - mother
mazaainroo - mother-in-law
mazzafakkaa - take a guess
mazaakantorii - mother country
mazaakon - "mother con (complex)"; take a guess again :p
mazaakonpurekkusu - mother complex again
mazaazudee - mother's day

You get the idea.

And yeah they don't use just English, though English is the most prevalent. Most nouns you can think of in English have a natural katakana equivalent.
Those are more like pronunciation keys.
I hardly think they'd be known or used by a regular Japanese speaker.
(Unless they knew English really well for some reason.)
I know those words because I've seen them used. Except kantorii which I've invented I guess.