ID:1173512

Resolved
The pager came to the foreground in some cases when showing or hiding a popup alert balloon, if the initial splash screen was obscured before the main window loaded.
BYOND Version:498.1170
Operating System:Windows XP Home
Web Browser:Firefox 19.0
Applies to:BYOND Pager

This issue has been resolved.
Descriptive Problem Summary: When a popup bubble is displayed, if the pager had been minimized and restored from the task bar, will result in the BYOND pager being brought to the front and stays on top of other programs until focus is placed onto the pager.

Numbered Steps to Reproduce Problem:
1) Have at least one program running that will display across the entire screen (Not full-screen)(IE, Firefox, Word, etc).
2) Open the BYOND pager so that the BYOND pager is above the opened program, and sign in.
3) Minimize the BYOND pager to the task bar (Not the system tray).
4) From the task bar, restore the BYOND pager (Right click > Restore)
5) Click the program that is running behind the BYOND pager so that the BYOND pager is placed behind the program.
6) Wait for a user login or game live bubble to appear.
7) Notice that when a pop up bubble appears, the BYOND pager is brought above the other program, and clicking the other program again won't send the pager behind until focus is placed on the pager.

Expected Results: For the pager to remain in the background, and not to appear when receiving a pop-up bubble.

Actual Results: The pager is brought to the front when receiving a pop-up bubble and doesn't return behind the program until focus is given to the pager.

Does the problem occur:
Every time? Or how often? Everytime.
In other games? N/a.
In other user accounts? Untested.
On other computers? Untested.

When does the problem NOT occur? The problem does not occur if the option "Show tooltip window in system tray when a friend of favorite game comes online" is unchecked.

Did the problem NOT occur in any earlier versions? If so, what was the last version that worked? I have seen this occur in older (possibly all) versions of the beta (Although hadn't found a way to reproduce it, previously).

Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The pager came to the foreground in some cases when showing a popup alert balloon.
I got the behavior to stop happening, but how I still don't know. Please let me know if this recurs, but it's completely stopped for me as a result of some innocuous code changes.
In response to Lummox JR
This is still occurring for me in 498.1171, following the same steps as listed in the original report. I'll update the report with the new version number.
Please don't update version numbers in the original report when an issue recurs in a new version; it's more important to track when the bug first was seen.
I did get this to recur again, but it's on an intermittent basis. It was happening regularly in response to your test sequence before, but that's no longer the case. It looks like the steps you listed are no longer a reliable way to reproduce this.

I can't help but wonder if the sequence in which other apps are activated has something to do with this.
Tom changed status to 'Verified'
Whenever I have the pager open and minimized, with "Stay on Top" off, the pager pops up when I get an alert. Not the kind of alert I want the pager to popup for, either. It pops up whenever someone or a game comes online.

What makes this worse is that for some reason, after I click back on to the window I was working in to get away from the pager, it pops back up once more, I'm assuming this is happening when the trigger for the bottom-right popup to go down is switched.

It's very annoying.

What I'd like to see is a way to choose what the pager pops up for (For example, I'd like it to popup when I get an alert on a new reply or a pager message - but not when someone or a game comes online. That just interrupts what I'm doing for no reason and is very annoying) and also fix the problem with the pager coming forward twice.
In response to Albro1
I'll need you to update your bug report with the correct version number, since this is a beta version. (You'll need to use Other... in the dropdown. Please include the full version.)

I was planning to merge this with another issue but on further review it looks like you're reporting two separate things. One of the issues, that the pager sometimes comes forward again when the bubble is displayed, is known. The other issue, if I'm reading this correctly, is that it's opening up when minimized.

This may still be a variation of the same known issue, but it would help to get more info as I can't verify this. When the pager pops up from being minimized, is the application showing as active or inactive (based on the status of the titlebar)? That is, if you click it does the titlebar change? I'm not sure if Windows 7 makes this distinction as clear, but it would help to know.
In response to Albro1
It isn't active, it behaves like it is set to Stay on Top. I can still keep doing what I was doing, so long as I happen to be working on a side of the screen it doesn't cover.

I'll update the version in a while, as I am on my phone. I am using the latest beta version of the pager, though.
In response to Albro1
Huh. So it's not letting you bring something else forward at all, but doggedly staying on top? The other issue I thought this fit is that the pager keeps coming to the foreground, but it does let you click away.

I'm still not convinced it isn't the same thing though. When the other bug happens, when the pager comes forward it's an inactive window; the window you were using remains active, so to get rid of the pager window you have to close it or switch to it (clicking the titlebar or using Alt+tab will do), then switch away. If you are able to do that, then it isn't stuck on top, it's just persistently coming back up per the other bug.
In response to Albro1
Yeah it isn't stuck. It pops up, I click away from it, then it pops up again when the task bar notification window goes away.
I believe this has been dealt with in the next release, but I'd like to confirm. Here's a way I found that I believe will always cause the issue to occur:

To reproduce:
0) Set the pager to auto-login, then exit.
1) Open the pager.
2) Alt+tab to another window while the splash screen is up.
3) When the main screen appears, Alt+tab away.

If any bubbles appear, I believe they should be bringing the pager forward each time whenever they appear/disappear. The pager window is not active when this happens; the window you were in remains active. I want to know if this consistently causes the problem for everybody.

The problem does not seem to occur for me at all if I do not Alt+tab away from the splash screen.
I don't usually stay in the splash screen while I wait for it to load. I click away from it and get to work on things. Not alt+tab, but I do leave it.
That makes sense; any switch away should do it. If you can confirm this always happens when you switch away from the splash, and preferably that it doesn't happen when you don't switch away from the splash, that would be good to know.
I can confirm that it always happens when switching away. If no one else does, I'll confirm whether or not it happens when staying on the screen later tonight.
In response to Lummox JR
I can confirm that, for me, this problem happens constantly following those steps.

It also seems that minimizing the splash screen triggers this behavior. I haven't been able to get the problem to occur when the splash screen finishes loading without any interaction.
Lummox JR resolved issue with message:
The pager came to the foreground in some cases when showing or hiding a popup alert balloon, if the initial splash screen was obscured before the main window loaded.