I'm experiencing a lot of collision issues on my online test. I can't confirm anything yet, but I can confirm that people are walking through each other.
Fugsnarf wrote:
I'm experiencing a lot of collision issues on my online test. I can't confirm anything yet, but I can confirm that people are walking through each other.

So it isn't just me.
I had this problem on the first run. (Walking through objects.) It's 'legacy' code (mode?). I compiled it a second time and rebooted, and the error seemed gone.
Hmm, keep me apprised. Be aware that if you're setting loc or step_x/y manually that Cross() and Crossed() won't be involved, so that's a big deal; if you had older code for handling any pixel movement in play then you'll need to adjust for that. One thing you can do is put in some debugging to see whether mobs are in collision before the move and if they still are after, or if you see any new collisions as a result of the move. Finding unexpected collisions should be as simple as putting a debug statement in mob/Crossed().
I basically reprogrammed everything. I handle all movement with step(). I can't explain how or why, but it's not very hard to walk through or into people more than you should. It almost seemed random. At first I thought it was because I was giving players a random character, one big and one smaller. However, you can even go through characters your own size. I really couldn't come up with any rhyme or reason as to why we were able to go through each other at seemingly random times.

My host is telling me that something called "dede10" is using massive amounts of CPU. There's also a lot of network delay adjustment going on. This isn't the host, because we tested on a game not using the new pixel movement and it played absolutely perfectly.

Overall, we had around 20 people on at one time and the game held up nicely, besides the network delay issues. Since the beginning, the network delay has been constantly adjusting all over the place with no end in sight.
I've uploaded some screen-shots of the collision and also the Options and Messages window to show the network delay changing.

http://files.byondhome.com/Fugsnarf/BLjflsgs.png
http://files.byondhome.com/Fugsnarf/Bshaorifjroea.png (Pretty much filled all the way with network delay changes)

Also, interestingly enough, the collision only "fails" vertically. I can go through, or too far into, a mob only going north and south. If a mob is next to a dense obj, I seem to be able to go too far into, or through, them as well.

I think I'm going to make a small game with some bots moving in some set patterns and see what happens.
After doing some tests, I wrote up a bug report with some more details on what was going on. I can't explain it, but I was able to present some situations where the collision was broken in a small demo.

http://www.byond.com/members/ BYONDHelp?command=view_tracker_issue&tracker_issue=3344
Tom didn't say hi back. Sadface.
I'm still a bit confused on the whole FPS to tick_lag thing. Is there a way for me to make my game essentially run at 0.75 tick lag. Because as of right now all my animations are off attacks launch before the animation finishes and stuff like that
You'll have to edit your animations. Beforehand, your tick_lag affected how fast your animations would go in-game. Now it seems it doesn't, so you can set it lower without worrying about the tick_lag affecting it, even under 1.
I was afraid you would say that. Alright then off I got lol
You should be able to do 0.75 tick_lag, sure. I wouldn't use the FPS var for it though since that's not equivalent to a whole number. To be honest I have no idea why you'd want 13.3 frames per second.
Well when I did 0.75 tick lag I only did it to speed up the animations a tad bit. and allow a few more commands. the problem is even if I set tick lag to 0.75 the animations are off and only running at the defualt. So I have to go in and edit all my icons like Figsmarf said roght
Figsmarf?...
Yeah, that's an unfortunate reality of the switch. I did make 490 run the animations correctly for games compiled in earlier versions though.
Lol Fugsnarf sorry
I have a question about the fps stuff. Is it now possible to have icon animations at a frame rate higher than what a tick_lag of 1 would allow or is it just to make animations/delays easier when the tick_lag is already below 1?
You can give frames decimal frame speeds to speed them up, if that's what you mean.
Fugsnarf wrote:
You can give frames decimal frame speeds to speed them up, if that's what you mean.

Right, but are those decimal delays still rounded up to the nearest tick_lag? Say if I wanted a loop to animate at 0.5 delay for each frame and the tick_lag is 1. Would that mean the game would animate at 20fps or would the frame delays round up to 1 and animate at 10fps?
That didn't seem to be the case for me. You can try it for yourself.
There is a new release (build 1102) in http://www.byond.com/download/build/490. This fixes the collision bug Fugsnarf reported.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7